Ikelite dslr ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi ssra30,

You mentioned that Ikelite port system is quite a let down. Can you please explain what do you mean? I am an amateur photographer who is thinking whether going for a housing with my Canon 350D, or to stick to a P&S digital camera (I used to have the Motor Marine III).

Thanks

Regards,

Nuno

ssra30:
My take on dSLR,
1) Ikelite is probably the best value more money, a bit bigger, the only housing with eTTL and iTTL capability but port system may be a let down for some people but they are working on the problem. I am not familiar wih Aquatica product but heard a lot of good things about them and they offer one of the most affordable aluminum housing around.

I don't think it's "quite a let down". You just need to make sure that there are ports available for the lenses/system you want to use before you choose a housing - and this hits all the manufacturers.

I hope someone who USES an Ike system will chime in. I used to use an Ike system with my film camera and never found any problems with the ports.

If I get the system I would be using the EF-S 10-22 as well as the EF-S 60 with the Dome 8". Does anyone know by the way whether this dome would allow me to play with the focus of the 10-22 lens?

Thanks

alcina:
I don't think it's "quite a let down". You just need to make sure that there are ports available for the lenses/system you want to use before you choose a housing - and this hits all the manufacturers.

I hope someone who USES an Ike system will chime in. I used to use an Ike system with my film camera and never found any problems with the ports.

nunomix:
Hi ssra30,

You mentioned that Ikelite port system is quite a let down. Can you please explain what do you mean? I am an amateur photographer who is thinking whether going for a housing with my Canon 350D, or to stick to a P&S digital camera (I used to have the Motor Marine III).

Thanks

Regards,

Nuno

A few of the relatively popular lenses are not support by Ikelite currently such as Nikkor 70-180mm, 17-55mm and Sigma 15mm (at least when use with FF camera).

Most manufacturers offer flatport and domeports with various extension rings so you need 2 ports and a few rings if you have several lenses. Ikelite has individual port for each lens so you will have to carry quite a few more pieces of equipments but you will also have less o-rings to deal with. However this may change a bit with the new 8 inch domeports but I don't have all the detail yet. Ikelite port opening is on a smallish side so some of the fatter lenses will not be compatible.

When D70 came out, the main reason I did not go with Ikelite was because I wanted to use the 70-180mm macro lens.

Are these points a let down for some people, I would say yes but certainly it is not a deal breaker for everyone so do your homework first to see if this is a problem for you or not.

Nunomix:

I use an 8" dome port over a 10-22efs on my ikelite housing for the 20D. It has a nice virtual image (no diopter necessary) and has done well for me (you can check out the inagural dive, conch republic, and dry tortugas albums in my gallery). Like any dome port, you have to be careful seating it and make sure the retaining snaps are secure. The rig has worked quite nicely for me.

---Bob

Thanks for your help. I already ordered the lenses (10-22 and 60). Now I am waiting for the dome 8" to arrive.

ScubaBoBuba, How big is the size of the 8"dome comparing with the 6" dome. I was trying to get the Ikelite housing, the D125 and the Dome in a 1550 Peli Case (so that I can take as carry-on luggage).

Cheers,

Nuno

ScubaBOBuba:
Nunomix:

I use an 8" dome port over a 10-22efs on my ikelite housing for the 20D. It has a nice virtual image (no diopter necessary) and has done well for me (you can check out the inagural dive, conch republic, and dry tortugas albums in my gallery). Like any dome port, you have to be careful seating it and make sure the retaining snaps are secure. The rig has worked quite nicely for me.

---Bob

Here are a couple pics of the 2 ports on a (gasp) Film housing (N90s)

the smaller one is the fisheye (5503), the larger one is a prototype 8" dome, but is real close to the production one.

Thanks for the pics. The dome is really huge. I hope I can put all these in a 1550 :)

Cheers

azcaddman:
Here are a couple pics of the 2 ports on a (gasp) Film housing (N90s)

the smaller one is the fisheye (5503), the larger one is a prototype 8" dome, but is real close to the production one.

Nunomix:

Much larger but that is the advantage. I initially bot the standard dome and was not happy with the tight fit and lack of room between the lense and dome. Helix offered to take it back when I ordered the 8" but I decided to keep it as a back up. I have only assembled it dry and have not taken it underwater so I cannot comment on the picture quality. I need two cases to pack the entire rig including camera and goodies. I have looked at the 1550 but have not really checked it out for fit. Anyone have experience with this case?

---Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom