Sea Life DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubabear6

Contributor
Reaction score
Anybody have any comments on this camera? Good , Bad, Ugly? I'm just looking for a decent underwater Digital Camera. I'm not a expert photog and don't plan to be. I only need this camera for diving as I have a OlyC-60 for land use as well as a Pentax K1000.

Why don't you just get a UW housing for the C60 (it needs an Olympus PT-24 housing). That will take much much better pictures than that POS DC500 and be cheaper too. I have yet to see any decent pictures with a DC500 (and I have looked), on the other hand I have seen many good pictures with the C60. YMMV.

I did a couple of dives with it in Key Largo last November. I liked it so much that I started saving all my pennies. Last week I bought the DC 500 Pro kit.

I am very happy with my purchase.

With that said, there are a couple of limitations...

The internal harddrive for the camera is 10 MB. As a result, you will need to buy an SD Memory card. SeaLife recommends getting a 512 MB card. They recommend SanDisk, Panasonic, or Toshiba.

Battery life seems to last about 1.5 dives. (90 minutes). Although I am sure that there are things you can do to extend battery life, I recommend getting a second battery w/ external recharger so that you can recharge both batteries at the same time.

Pictures cannot be saved in RAW format. TIFF is the highest quality available.

I recommend that you try to rent one and see if you like it before you make the commitment.

Thats right on the SD cards...however DO NOT buy a card bigger than 512mb. They will not work in the camera. I bought a 1gb card and no dice. Stick w/ the 512's and a spare battery w/ a charger and you will love this camera!

I bought the DC500 and it died on my first dive it just stopped doing anything. I also didn't like the picture quality. My friend bought that camera too and it drowned on his first dive. I can not recommend that camera. I returned it and got me the Canon A620 which I really like. My friend got an olympus.

I have one, but have only used it a fiew times. Cameras and gadgets are NOT my friend and I wanted a plain old point and shoot camera that would'nt piss me off right away. It takes good pictures, but the buttons are a little small with gloves on, and it would be a benefit to have another battery. It was'nt too expensive, and is pretty simple to use.

We have sold a number of the 500's since their intro last year and our customers are happy with them overall.

A good memory card is a must obviously and usually Walmart or Best Buy will have a good selection for you with good prices.

If your diving numerous times in a day, e.g. liveaboard diving, live on the water etc. I would recommend an extra battery.

Easy to use with a couple of different configurations, prepackaged with one strobe, two strobes, no strobe if you have one already, overall a very good camera.

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Sealife DC 500 Digital Camera_ID42747

http://www.diversdirect.com/item/Sealife DC 500 Digital Pro Set_ID42996

Enjoy!

I have a DC500 Elite Set brand new for sale contact me

scubabear6:
Anybody have any comments on this camera? Good , Bad, Ugly? I'm just looking for a decent underwater Digital Camera. I'm not a expert photog and don't plan to be. I only need this camera for diving as I have a OlyC-60 for land use as well as a Pentax K1000.

No expert...but I do have this camera and lots of others. (It comes with my profession)

The Good: Nice small package, very sturdy uw housing, good quality pic in and out of the water, expandable memory, good button placement/easily changable settings in and out of housing without gloves. Lots of different user modes and no need to read a book to work it.

The Bad: proprietary batt. , camera must recharge on docking station. (More stuff to carry) Button placement is too tight to change settings with gloves on.

The Ugly: batt. life, batt. life and batt. life need I say more...

IMHO nice package, but you will need to purchase these extras items:

2 spare batt. (Be prepared to change after each dive)
1 travel charger
2 512mb High-Speed SD cards (generic SD cards slow down write speed and in turn slow the camera down a lot)

This is a great camera for vacation/diving in warm water and it's easy to transport in carry-on. It is NOT a camera I use when diving in my area NE NY area.

If you would like to see pictures taken with this camera UW and on land check my photos.

‘Mike

Back
Top Bottom