New camera and not even certified yet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underachiever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We will be heading down to Key Largo this weekend to complete OWC. Ran across what I think is a great deal on a Reefmaster Kit (DC310). Camera, strobe and a few other little goodies. I know I probably need to get more accustomed to diving before I tackle much picture taking but we are just getting exicited about the whole thing. We will do 2 dives Monday(checkout) and 2 more of the same Tuesday. Then some fun dives Wednesday and Thursday. I have been getting familar with the camera and hope to try a few shots on the second dive of the first day and proceed from there.

I have seen the basic rules (I think). Shoot close and level, not downward. I have some knowledge about photography is general. Not a bunch but some. Just brand new to the wet stuff. I have printed the instruction manual for both the strobe and camera and will read up on them both. We are headed to the pool tonight for some more pratice and swimming around and bouancy control, breathing etc... and a few shots with the camera.

Will I need any weight on the camera? Think I remember seeing something about a weight that can go in the strobe.

Any other suggestions for the newbie?

Thanks

I would check with your instructor before taking the camera on any of your cert dives.

You should wait to get your buoyancy down before taking many pictures. In the mean time I could keep your camera company.... Just kidding

First, you won't be able to take your camera on any of the OW Cert dives. So depending on how many dives you are doing afterwards, you would have to weigh how much you will use it.

Second, as a new diver you will have to weigh how comfortable you are with everything and then throwing a camera on top of it. When you add the camera, it becomes one more thing to worry about or focus on. You will likely find that if you are diving with your camera that your bouyancy and air consumption will suffer until you become more comfortable and confident with your skills.

Having a camera UW is fun. That said, I'm not sure that after one dive (or four including certification) that you are going to be in a very good position to deal with a camera UW.

My SAC is good especially at sea level, and I definately use more air when shooting UW. This is because buoyancy is largely controlled with the lungs, and when shooting UW to maintain perfect buoyancy I'm often exhaling before I really need to just to hover as perfectly as possible when shooting.

Another thought is that while you are dealing with camera settings, if you are not paying attention, and start to ascend that can quickly turn into a fast rise to the surface.

The good news is that diving shallow reefs in the keys is easy diving. I'd not make any fast decisions on when to carry the camera. I'd say you are ready when you can hover UW motionless without difficulty for at least 30 seconds. Most new divers are not going to achieve that goal after 1 or maybe even 10 dives. Some don't achieve it after 30 dives, so don't be in too big a rush. Enjoy the diving, and when you are feeling very comfortable with your trim and buoyancy than consider taking the camera down.

I know you're excited and anxious to start taking those memory photos but please....get your bouyancy skills down before you take a camera with you. Not only that, you need some experience in controlling your dives before you throw a camera into the mix. It's VERY easy to get distracted and forget to check your gauges/computer for depth and air supply.

So please do yourself, your buddy and everyone you'll dive with a favor and wait until you get some experience before taking on the task load of a camera.

I agree, dive first, get very comfortable with where everyting is located and how to use it. At this point just dive and be aware of the things you will probably take pictures of later. You will find you miss a lot of things because of your tunnel vision to the new under water experience. There will be plenty of time to take pics. Maybe have your instructor take your camera and take a few pics of you and your group.

Please do.
I completely understand your desire to take your camera but the amout of task loading a camera adds is a lot greater than you would think. Enjoy the dives, practice your bouyancy and your buddy skills. Bouyancy and buddy skills need to be second nature before you pick up a camera. Something you can do to practice for the camera is to get close to a coral head and hover while inspecting the small life. Slow down, hover a lot and observe the small stuff, you will be amazed at what you find.
If you see someone on the boat who does have a camera, ask if they will take a few of you and send you a CD. I am always happy to do so, esp if you buy the first beer of the evening.

I have not been on a dive without my camera... including my cert dives! However my OW cert was in a shallow spring with unreal visibility. I originally bought my cam and housing for surfing, so I already had it hanging around and was comfortable in the water with it; and I didn't have a strobe to get in the way yet.

You probably have too much other stuff to deal with and shouldn't have to worry about a camera and strobe that can flood and distract you.However, if you really want to take ask the instructor and I would suggest to only take the camera-forget the strobe right now- and only take it on the final dive...

just my advice

p.s. ask any photog on this board and they should tell you cameras can be a pain and can get quite cumbersome...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom