Desiccant (Moisture) Packs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie

be happy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm just about to leave on a trip only to realize that I don't have enough desiccant packs for my underwater camera. Are there certain kinds that I need to look for to use with my camera or will any that fit into the housing work?

Any idea on where to start to look for them aside from a camera store (I'll try that first)?

giggle....I have some that you can 'recharge' by baking them for a few hours, but alas I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and have no ovens!

what kind of camera?

Olympus 5060

A ready source of dessicant packs in a hurry is your local Drug Store (we call them chemist's). Most packs of tablets and other drugs are packed in boxes with handfuls of dessicant packs thrown in. If you speak to the lady behind the counter nicely, she gives them away! Certainly a quick way to get some for a trip.

For my video housing, I get a handfull of the little ones for free from the local film lab. I put them in the cut-off toe of a sock to keep them all together. I have a gas oven now (which gives off water vapour) so I dry them on my heating vents (forced air).

Thanks for the ideas!!!

cdiver2:
Microwave. 10 sec - 10 sec - 10 sec and the color will be back
Or use the defrost cycle which will cycle the power on and off automatically. Also, the color indicator will go back to blue before the dessicant is really fully de-watered, so keep microwaving away a while longer.

Shoe stores have them in every box of shoes. Some places removed them so kids wont eat them, and you might luck out and find they have a box of the packs that they would be glad to give away.

Back
Top Bottom