Photography and drift diving in southern Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greg G.

Reaction score
I just moved to southern FL from the Seattle area. I have a question for any of you experienced in u/w photo in the WPB area. I'm finding it very difficult and frustrating to try to take pics while on a drift dive, which is all there is here. I like (and need) to stop and linger to get some shots, maybe even spend a good chunk of the dive in one area, but that's nearly impossible when trying to keep up with a group. In the Seattle area, it was just the opposite, drift diving was (mostly) avoided, dives have to be planned during slack currents, otherwise you may end up in the middle of the Puget Sound (or 700ft down on the bottom).

I've also noticed that the charters here do not have any decent camera rinse buckets or film changing tables. They have one little bucket for the masks, and no table. It's not anywhere big enough to accomodate a camera and a strobe. Doesn't anybody like to take pics around here? I don't mean to sound like I'm whining, I'm just looking for some answers.

i don't have any answers regarding the WPB area but when you find out, let me know so that i can steer my business toward that dive boat. One thing about drift dives and photography is that it's very hard even to stick with a group of shutterbugs. The nature of that type of diving often precludes taking the time to frame a good wide angle shot or pursue a macro subject. I love just drifting with the current but my best pix always come when i'm solo or off doing my own thing and just barely watchin the guide/group out of the corner of my eye so you are not alone in that respect. Also, if you don't have one already, GET A SAFETY SAUSAGE!!!! It may be the best $5.00 to $40.00 you will have ever spent!

That's what I was afraid of. I guess I'll just have to find out ahead of time the specifics of the dive, e.g. drift or a moored dive. Even w/o the camera, I like to stop and observe a lot. I've got a sausage, I'll make a point of making it part of my standard gear. Thanks for the response.

Greg,
I too live and dive among the Palm Beach Drift. What I do it try to dive with a small group or solo. I can usually find some one who wants to be a spotter and then tell the captain just two on the flag. We can then go at our own pace (current allowing) or just go out on my own boat. If you want to head south I find some great opps on the Artifical wrecks in Pompano and Lauderdale which are always moored dives. Also the Copenhagan is a shallow with good Macro opps. Hope this bit of info helps. If you want to reach me you can email me at rbd@eactive.com

Most of my ocean diving is drift diving. I'll look a bit ahead to find a coral head, leadge, etc. to duck behind to get out of the current. This works especially well for macro shots because there's always some subject to shoot. Wide angle shots are about all I accomplish when drifting.

Usually if I tell the DM and/or boat Capt. that I'll keep the group in sight, and my buddy is willing to help me do this, I don't have a problem with most dive ops.

Alot of the small boats I use don't have dedicated rinse buckets or camera tables. For a rinse bucket, I travel with a collapsable drink cooler. I fill it with fresh water before I get on the boat. My strobes don't fit in it but it does keep the camera wet. Alot of the time, if I request it, a 5 gal. bucket will be brought on board for me to use.

We usually put ashore for a SI and that's where I change film and/or batteries if needed. If we're to stay on the boat, I just don't change film on the boat. I've already had problems with moisture in the camera from trying to do it on the boat and learned my lesson the hard way. Besides, even as much as I love taking photos, it's still nice at times not to have a camera in hand!

HTH

Yes, but every time I do that (leave the camera behind) sure as the sun comes up in the mornin', I wonderful photo op will appear! One example recently, I went on a shark dive with a dive club. The shark dive was wonderful, got several good shots. Second dive, the boat was a-rockin', and like you, I didn't want to try to change the film, so I left it behind. What do I see as soon as I descend? Not one, but two turtles! That was a first for me!

Originally posted by Dee
...We usually put ashore for a SI and that's where I change film and/or batteries if needed. If we're to stay on the boat, I just don't change film on the boat. I've already had problems with moisture in the camera from trying to do it on the boat and learned my lesson the hard way. Besides, even as much as I love taking photos, it's still nice at times not to have a camera in hand!

HTH

I've missed turtles, Eagle Rays and Whale Sharks. It's almost a guarantee to see something good if I leave the camera behind. But there'll be another chance at it...sometime, and I don't want anymore repair bills or insurance claims!

Ok, as far as any dedicated rinse buckets, one charter operator told me he used to have one but more often than not, some cameras would flood while sitting in the bucket, so he got rid of it and recommended using the on-board fresh water hose or shower to rinse the camera, which makes sense. I haven't seen a charter down here that didn't have one or the other or both. As far as a dedicated film changing table, he said I was welcome to go below where there was less chance of water getting splashed into the open camera. Just something I'll have to learn to do, I guess.

When drift diving with a camera, I find it wise to stay low and close to the relief. If you get behind relief and down-current, it can be pretty easy to stage your shots. This worked for me in Cozumel while shooting macro. It also worked when I was in WPB last fall filming turtles.

Plan on diving solo when you use this technique, because you will be separated from the group.

Also, one positive about current is that if your subject areas get silted-up, it usually clears out in a few seconds.

Good luck,

Brian

If youre lookin for a dive charter in West Palm Beach, check out Diving Solutions (http://www.divingsolutions.com/). We (J2 Diving)have been diving with them for quite a while now and along with a some great boat captains and crew, they do have dedicated film changing tables on several of their boats(and bucket if I am not mistaken).

Christopher

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom