Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Housing recommendation

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Exclamation Housing recommendation

Which manufacturer housing is your preference for SLR like the Nikon D200....I would assume the picture quality is the same with any housing right?
    :58:

Photographer

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    well the housing will say what ports you will use, so I'd rather say that housing has a minor importance in pic quality. Most thing that matter is lens, lens/port relation, body sensor and firmware.
    Housings for D200 are something like Canon x Nikon dispute.
    I like Sea&Sea more than Aquatica, Aquatica is a bit less expensive, and maybe you will find more service for Aquatica in the US. Sea&Sea is nicely finished, have a better big dome, more compact macro ports.
    Choice is up to you, with the two you cant go wrong.
    Marcelo Mariozi - UWPhoto Instructor me or visit my site: UWPhoto.ae
    Nikon D300 & F80s, Sea&Sea MDX-D300 & NX-80, YSs -90, -120 & -110(2), Nikonos V, Nikkors 10.5mm, 10-24mm, 16mm, 14-24mm, 50mm, 60mm, 105mm, 70-200mm, Sigmas 4.5mm, 8mm.

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    How about the Ikelite?
    :58:

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Lots of great options.

As others have said, if you already have ports then your choice is more limited.

The cream of the crop are most certainly the Subal or Seacam.

While I know this can be debated, but once you "feel" the difference in ergonomic and precision you might understand.

That being said the Sea & Sea is a nice piece and the Aquatica housing for the D200 is certainly their best effort yet as it includes a saddle type camera mount.
    Jeff
    "A view of the water is not a matter of life or death, it is something much more important than that."

Nikon D300, Subal ND20 modified for the 300,10.5 fisheye, 16mm, 60mm, & 105VR lenses, and (2) Inon 220's to light everything up

My photo Gallery: My Sea Dreams

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Ikelite is what I bought because it is less than half as much, I think. I worry about investing too much in a housing with the technology changing so fast.

I had a quote on the Aquatica housing with strobes and it came in around 5,ooo with the various ports, etc. just too much for me, although that is my favorite housing I think. The customer service from Ikelite has been excellent. I like being able to see inside the housing..the buttons, water, etc.

That Aquatica is one sexy housing though.

Everything I say is untrue and the opposite of what I really think, and I constantly make all kinds of things up just for fun

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Is the whole TTL thing (I'm not sure I even fully understand what that is) exclusive to Ikelite strobes? If it is, is it not such a big deal that people were willing to go with other housings?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,000 - 2,999
    Photos
    I Like Ike!

Tech Instructor

Home for a bit.

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I have used both the Sea and Sea housing and the Ikelite housings for the D200.

Here's what I thought...

The S&S is more durable, made from aluminum (I believe) - it's labeled on the outside of the housing... and all of the controls are precise and easy to use. The shutter action is also cooler than the ike. as a side note, the front action wheel on my ikelite housing (the F-Stop adjustment when in Manual mode) has given me problems, and I've had a total of 4 dives where the camera was "stuck" in the F-Stop that I was in... in one case it was F8 which wasn't SO bad - but anyway, it should function perfectly, which the S&S did.

Also - the next main difference is the ports -
    1) The Ike ports are acrylic, and can scratch fairly easily... the S&S ports are glass
    2) the ike ports clip in with 2 "retaining clips" - the S&S you push and turn on similar to a lens.
    3) the way the zoom lenses interact with both are different too... Ike has an acrylic zoom gear which is somewhat generic... the S&S has a zoom gear for each specific lens.

The last big thing is the TTL. Basically, Ike has it - and nobody else does (have it built in).
    In other words... the ikelite has the iTTL control on the back of the housing... it's really easy to use. S&S if you want to use TTL, you have to purchase an additional TTL converter (MORE MONEY)

So - my choice for now is the Ikelite... If I come up with a spare $3000+ I may sell my ike and get a S&S, but for now, I'll use the ike... The pictures come out the same.

You can get an Ike with a port for about $1500
    You can get a S&S with port and TTL converter for about $3700

That's my 2¢
    -- Howard --

Technical Dive Training in Pompano Beach and South Florida. PM me for details.

Duck Diver, LLC - Marketing Services for the Scuba Industry and more - Websites, SEO, Web Hosting, Social Media, Ad Management