Weekend in La Bufadora, Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Trip Report for last weekend in La Bufadora, Mexico

My dive buddy Billy (not Empty V) and I left L.A. at close to 11pm, and arrived at casa de Mr. Fringehead at about 12:45. Intros were made, and we caught a few Z's, waking again at 5:30. Ugh! We loaded the car to an absurd degree and departed for La Bufadora at approx 6:30.

IMG_0603.JPG

Mexican Toll Booth

One border crossing, 3 toll booths, and 2.5 hours later, we rolled down the dirt road to the campsite at about 8:30am. Side note: Count your change from the toll workers! We were blatantly ripped off at the first booth, and didn't notice until we were short at the second toll booth!

IMG_0606.JPG

Penny makes friends while the rest of us gear up

Anyway, upon our arrival we saw Scottfiji's car and tent, but no Scottfiji. Where could he and Penny be, we wondered? In the water, snorkelling around while waiting for us, of course. I told you that guy never fully dries out.

We finally got ready, and waited for our driver to bring the panga up to the rocky beach. This was quite a production, as it's essentially a heavy, wooden, overgrown rowboat, and it has to be hauled up onto the rocks in just the right area, and held stable by volunteers from our group while everyone else frantically loads tanks and gear. But eventually we were on our way to the first dive site, mysteriously known as the "sunken pinnacles".

IMG_0608.JPG

Waiting for the panga

IMG_0611.JPG

Holding the panga for gear loading

The mystery soon cleared up, as it turns out the TOP of the pinnacles are 10 feet below the surface, making it essentially invisible from the boat. We arrived at the spot where Manuel thought they were, and I volunteered to jump in and make sure we were on top of the site. Naturally, we weren't. I was joined by Cabezon, and we both took turns swimming around in various directions, and free diving below the surface to see if we could find it.

Eventually we both found it at about the same time. We returned to the boat to gear up, and most of us took to the water, only to discover that we had drifted while getting ready, and lost track of the site! This time we all joined in the search, but it proved even more elusive than before, and we all searched for quite a while before the site was stumbled across again.

Finally, we dove down, and what a site it was! Massive schools of bait fish bolted this way and that, providing a dramatic backdrop to quite good visibility (compared to what we were used to, at least). Life was abundant everywhere you looked. This was the favorite site of everyone who dove it.

IMG_0645.JPG

Schooling baitfish

IMG_0701.JPG

Kelp in strong surge

IMG_0642.JPG

White Spotted Porostomes munch on Gray Moon Sponge: "Come here often?"

IMG_0620.JPG

Archidoris odhneri nudibranch, laying eggs

IMG_0617.JPG

Gopher Rockfish

IMG_0639.JPG

Blue-Ringed Top Snail

IMG_0672.JPG

Green Anenome

IMG_0682.JPG

Green Anenome and Bread Crumb Sponge

IMG_0695.JPG

We saw lots of these fish with yellow tails, but I don't know what they are. Not a great shot, but they were really skittish.

IMG_0705.JPG

There were vast fields of aggregating anenomies, giant green anenomes, and ochre starfish

To be continued...

I had to return to the boat eventually. :( During our surface interval, we cruised to our second dive spot, two pinnacles known as "Candle Sticks".

IMG_0717.JPG

Candle Sticks

IMG_0720.JPG

Blue-Banded Ronquil

IMG_0730.JPG

California Sea Cucumber

IMG_0741.JPG

Mussel Lunch for this Bat Star!

IMG_0745.JPG

Coonstripe Shrimp

IMG_0749.JPG

Noble Dorid and Orange Cup Corals

IMG_0757.JPG

I've never seen a Rock Scallop this clean!

IMG_0758.JPG

Usually they're more covered, like this one. Plus a cute White Spotted Porostomes eating a Gray Moon Sponge, as usual.

We returned and played tourist in town for a bit, after lunch/dinner at Celia's, a local restaurant. We also played tourist in the shopping district, and checked out the blowhole, "La Bufadora" from the viewing platform.

After our formal debriefing, we returned to the campsite and roasted marshmellows around the campfire. Stories were told, and a good time was had by all.

La Bufadora, Day Two:

The next morning came far too early after the previous evening's fun, but we were still eager to get out there. This time we headed in the other direction, and were able to see La Bufadora itself from the boat on our way to Eagle Rock, our first dive site.

IMG_0764.JPG

La Bufadora

To be continued...

Eagle Rock had a huge wall that was nudibranch heaven. I've never seen so many, of so many varieties, in one place!

IMG_0772.JPG

White Spotted Porostome nudibranch (Doriopsilla albopunctata)

IMG_0773.JPG

San Diego Dorid nudibranch

IMG_0800.JPG

Clown nudibranch (Triopha catalinae)

IMG_0828.JPG

Spanish Shawl nudibranch

IMG_0834.JPG

Three Lined Aeolid nudibranch (Flabellina trilineata)

IMG_0844.JPG

Yellow Spotted Cadlina nudibranch (Cadlina flavomaculata)

IMG_0813.JPG

Porter's Chromodorid nudibranch (Mexichromis porterae) on Lacy Bryozoans

IMG_0790.JPG

Noble Dorid nudibranch

IMG_0787.JPG

There were a number of Blue-Ring Top Snails. These babies were eating a Lacy Bryozoan.

During our surface inverval, we continued to our final dive spot of the trip, Little White Rock. Unfortunately, I had some fogging issues early on in the dive, but they cleared up later in the dive.

IMG_0875.JPG

Unknown Sculpin (Snubnose?), very cool, shame about the lens fog.

IMG_0873.JPG

Yellow Edged Cadlina nudibranch (Cadlina luteomarginata)

IMG_0910.JPG

White Spotted Porostome nudibranch (Doriopsilla albopunctata) on a Gray Moon Sponge

After it was all over, we debriefed at Celia's and packed up for home.

IMG_0925.JPG

Apres-Dive Lunch at Celia's, overlooking La Bufadora's bay

IMG_0927.JPG

One last view from the tent before packing up...

It was a long haul, especially since the border crossing from Tijuana was closed and we were forced to divert to Otay, about 45 minutes away. After 7 hours in the car, however (including dropping off Sean in San Diego), Billy and I arrived back home in L.A.

IMG_0931.JPG

The road home

Just to add it up, I saw:

1) White Spotted Porostome
2) Noble Dorid
3) San Diego Dorid
4) Clown nudibranch
5) Spanish Shawl
6) Three Lined Aeolid
7) Yellow Spotted Cadlina
8) Porter's Chromodorid
9) Yellow Edged Cadlina
10) Archidoris odhneri

TEN species of nudibranchs in one trip. That's definitely a new record for me!

Neat, Good to see it again..
I used to go for dive camp-outs back in the 80's, camped in the (then?) vacant dirt lot just above the entry point to the boat launch. There was an American running the diver Hut... and a restaurant on a hill... then vendor stands on the way to the Blow hole... heheh.. good to see the place again...

kapula:
that blue ringed top snail and green anemone are award winners! Magnificent shots! Absolutely stunning detail. What is your camera rig?
Thanks! :D

I'm using a Canon PowerShot S80 in the Ikelite housing. Internal flash only, with the diffuser, until I can afford a strobe.

fpoole:
Neat, Good to see it again..
I used to go for dive camp-outs back in the 80's, camped in the (then?) vacant dirt lot just above the entry point to the boat launch. There was an American running the diver Hut... and a restaurant on a hill... then vendor stands on the way to the Blow hole... heheh.. good to see the place again...
Yup, it's a little more organized now (but not much), but Dale still runs the dive shop, after nearly 30 years. He's the one with frizzy hair standing in the back of the Panga while we held it, in the 3rd and 4th shots in this post. He's quite a character!

Hell yeah, road trippin is the way to go :D Great post!

Just the kinda dive I like!!!
Nice!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom