Florida Photographers: Who wants a free trip to the Florida Middle Grounds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I would like to offer a free trip to the Florida Middle Grounds, leaving from Pasco County, to a well qualified photographer with good digital equipment and lighting.

What's in it for you:

1. A "rocket ship" ride to the Florida Middle Grounds on a 2001 Venture 34 w/ twin 250 Yamahas (www.venture34.com). Some boats take 10 hours to get to the grounds. We're there in 2.5 hours, making single day Middle Grounds runs possible. The boat is equiped with all imaginable safety gear, 100% oxygen, full EMS jump kit, ePIRB, radar, marine radio, etc.

2. The opportunity to view the incredible structure and marine life of the Florida Middle Grounds. See ledges and plateaus that rise and fall 50', and wrecks teaming with fish stacked high up the water column.

3. All of your share of the boat expenses covered. I'll even have all food and beverages you could want for the trip. Just show up with your gear and tanks.

What's in it for me: I would like to collect some spearfishing photos. So, basically, all you have to do is take photos.

You should be comfortable at depths down to 120' (although, on avereage, our depth will be around 100'), and dive nitrox to keep the same profile as me. Adequate time will be given for you to take photos of other stuff that you find interesting. We will dive 4 tanks, and all dives will be "no-deco." I'd be happy to answer any questions. I'd be looking to do this within the next three weeks, before we start getting the likely sustained blows that could come through.

P.S.: If you're concerned about flying spears, be assured that I know where my muzzle is pointed at all times, the gun is uncocked during descent and ascent, and other "ground rules" can be established to assure a comfortable environment.

It's worth the trip across the big pond, Clive! :D

P.S.: I just saw your photos, and they're very nice. You would have been a good fit for this.

thanks, believe me I would go for it, but i have already had one holiday without my wife this year, don't think she would take it too well if i did a second.

i'm glad you like the photo's, thats is what make it more enjoyable, when other people get some satisfaction or enjoyment from looking at them.

No takers?

Did I mention you should bring a cooler, because I am going to put some of my grouper and mango snapper in there for you???:D

Did I forget to mention the strippers, and the keg party we have on our way back to port? :D

Scott,

It would help to know what you plan to to do the photos. Do you expect snapshots, or publishing quality photos? We know you just started a spearfishing site. Are they to be used there? Published somewhere? I would want to know your intentions first.

What does the photographer get out of it other than a free boat ride and a couple meals? The kind of photos you're asking for is alot of work. Not to mention bringing expensive equipment.

Even if I lived in close proximity of Tampa, you'd have to sweeten the pot a little! I don't mind paying for boat rides.

Just my 2¢

Hi, Dee. Here is my reply:

Dee once bubbled...
Scott,

It would help to know what you plan to to do the photos. Do you expect snapshots, or publishing quality photos? We know you just started a spearfishing site. Are they to be used there? Published somewhere? I would want to know your intentions first.
As far as spearboard.com, yes, I started that sight, and, yes, some of the photos would wind up on the sight. However, as far as the site, the photos would probably only be a part of a spearfishing report. So, they would just be apart of another thread. Possibly, a photo could become part of some of the homepage artwork.

In truth, I just want some photos. Something for my own scrapbook. Maybe something for my own personal web page, should I build one.

What does the photographer get out of it other than a free boat ride and a couple meals? The kind of photos you're asking for is alot of work. Not to mention bringing expensive equipment.

Dee, I think you underestimate the value of what I am offering. The Florida Middle Grounds is a tremendous trip, and is not an easy ride to get for a photographer. First, you need a boat with the range to make it there. The boats that go there fall mainly into two catagories: 1) Slow diesels (a la Uncle Pug, the boat), and 2) go fast twin outboards w/ large fuel cacpacity. The former goes out on three day runs. The ladder in a single day.

The opportunity to see the Florida Middle Grounds provides a chance to see many species of sharks, including Bulls and Hammerheads, not to mention dozens of different marine species. The ledges and plateaus are legendary. Don't get me wrong, it's not the beauty of the tropics. However, the structure is interesting and the spearfishing incredible.

Even if I lived in close proximity of Tampa, you'd have to sweeten the pot a little! I don't mind paying for boat rides.

Suit yourself, but I think you'd be missing a great opportunity. There are no cattle boats running out to the Grounds for single day trips. We're talking about covering 250 miles in a day, and getting back to the dock at Hooters in time to gorge on wings and consume too much beer. I think I'm offering a value of about $600. If that's not good enough for someone to take some photos of me spearfishing, then so be it.

You're right, I apologize. I was thinking about the central east coast of Florida and was just talking about a fast boat trip. I'm not a boat person so I didn't pick up on the mechanical details!

I just got my map out...which I should have done before responding...and I see what you mean about the location. It's sort of like our Flower Gardens, just not so far from land. For that trip, yes it would be worth it!

Sorry :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom