Using RAW mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lemurs2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be getting my first UW digital soon but would like to know if anyone out there uses JPEG mode or RAW mode

I shoot mostly RAW mode for underwater work. Sometimes JPG for topside. You need to have a RAW converter of some sort to be able to read and edit the RAW files.

I mostly shoot RAW - underwater... But I often shoot RAW+JPEG for topside.

I shoot almost exclusively RAW under water for ease of color correction and lighting correction. Topside, I almost always shoot JPEG. As mentioned, you need a RAW conversion program such as PS Elements, Lightroom, Photoshop CS or some of the free downloadable ones like Rawshooter. I use Rawshooter, which is very easy to use with simple slider bar corrections. I also use PS7 to further edit after converting to JPEG.

Thanks for the replies. When shooting in RAW to you shoot in 16 bit or 8? I'm just reading up on it and some have suggested shooting in 16 and downloading in 8.
What do yo all think?

what camera are you looking at?

Both. RAW + jpg.

All the best, James

I shoot RAW underwater. Main reason is that I can adjust the white balance in Photoshop topside. One less thing to think about underwater. If you get the white balance wrong in JPEG or whatever you're hosed. I can also make other corrections to the RAW file before bringing it in to edit. Downside of course is the file size, and the longer write time. Not as much of an issue though with the larger/faster cards coming out.

Well Canon A series seemed to have a lot of good things about it but I can't find one under $800 that comes with RAW. the Fugi E900 has a good price and RAW. I'm on a budget and this will be my first UW

Shoot RAW exclusively. You can convert to Jpeg but not the other way around.

RAW will capture in 16 bit (or what the camera makers call 16 bit which is really closer to 12 bit). Make a backup copy of the RAW files, put them away. Make 2 copies of anything important.

When you convert, using the native software that comes with your camera, save the files to 8 bit TIFFs.

That way, if you should ever need or want to do extensive work on a file, you have the RAW so you can use 16 bit, but most of the time you will want to work in 8 bit.

What camera are you getting?

Jeff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom