RAW capable compact for underwater photo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDelage

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
All,

I am wondering if anyone could recommend a good compact P&S with RAW capabilities for underwater photography. I am very much in lust with the Leica D-Lux 3, but it doesn't have any housing made for it. Most compact P&S seem to abandon the RAW format unfortunately. :( I have a D-SLR, but I don't want to invest in the huge amount of equipment it would request to take it underwater.

Thanks,

JD

I use a Olypmus sp 350 which is 8megapixels and does shoot raw. It even has a hot shoe for a external flash.

I got a ikelite housing that is ttl capable(with one of their strobes) for a little over $400. Once I have the money I plan on buying a ds-125, but you can get the cheaper ds-51 and still have the ttl function.

I would shearch in the photography forums on what other folks have said.

I got a used Canon Powershot s70 and new Canon housing for $400 all together. The s70 isn't the new hotness, but it has the advantages of raw mode, wide angle (28mm in 35mm terms), and an inexpensive factory housing.

I really wanted an excuse to spend more $ on a newer camera, but I personally demanded both wide angle and raw and that limited the point & shoot style options quite a bit. I was not willing to invest the $ in a DSLR setup, nor did I want to take my much nicer Nikon 8800 underwater since 1) it's dog slow in raw mode and 2) the housing is $800.

For what I spent I am happy and I am glad I decided to hold out for a wide-angle camera even if it's a little older.

Here are pics taken with my s70.

http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/scubadiving
http://wrongcrowd.com/gallery/longbeach2006

(FYI the s60 is basically the same camera with less megapixels, maybe you can find one cheaper.)

The Fuji E900 has proven itself as a great camera for underwater use. It and a housing would probably set you back about $500. I believe you can still find them around new. I have a friend who was selling one as he moved up to a dSLR. PM me if you are interested and I can see if he still has it.

I would upgrade just the housing to a CNC before anything else. The camera is not the limiting factor here. It is the Ikolite housing. Trust me once you go nauticam/roscoe .... you will never go back.

Sony RX 100 with Nauticam housing. Under $1200 if you can find a used set. No one will argue for P&S that their is no better option out their today then the Sony RX 100

. DSC05147.jpg

It all depends on how much you want to spend. Canon Powershot S110 + WP-DC47 housing for $495 on Amazon would probably be the best choice if the budget is tight.

Things sure have changed in the 7 years since the original post.:wink:

Don't know if you noticed it or not but the thread is about 7 years old.

Last edited:
No one will argue for P&S that their is no better option out their today then the Sony RX 100

This is ScubaBoard....of course someone will argue :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom