Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Housing yearly maintenance - should it be done by professionals?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Housing yearly maintenance - should it be done by professionals?

Something just occurred to me as I'm considering which DSLR housing to buy. I currently take apart and thoroughly clean my Olympus PT-010 housing every year, but I don't touch the small stuff like the o-rings for the buttons, etc.

I'm just wondering, is it possible to do the annual cleaning and maintenance of a DSLR housing (Sea & Sea, Aquatica or other metal housings) and ports on your own, or it is best to send it off somewhere to get it done by a professional? Or maybe once every X number of years? Are the o-ring kits available to the general public, or do you need to know someone to get them? Anything else I should know?
    Just Dive It!
    ----------------
    http://scubagirl.smugmug.com

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    I would send it in to Olympus (or Canon, or Ikelite, etc) for servicing. They will probably either take it apart and replace appropriate parts, or in the case of Olympus or Canon they very well may just replace the housing.

I'll be diving empty (no camera) with just the housing for my P&S to pressure test everything and make sure I cleaned it properly. Hopefully that will be a boring dive and I won't miss any good shots.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by undefined
    I'll be diving empty (no camera) with just the housing for my P&S to pressure test everything and make sure I cleaned it properly.
    Well, that's a standard "must-do" whenever you've fiddled with the housing, or with a new housing.

I'm looking for more specific info from DSLR users who use their housings on a regular basis (ie. weekly).
    Just Dive It!
    ----------------
    http://scubagirl.smugmug.com

Divemaster
    Badge

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    It probably really boils down to "can you get the parts"? Some manufacturers will only sell replacement O-rings and parts to a retail store which maks it hard to do your own repair work. It is understandable with regulators because they would be a world of hurt if someone serviced their own gear and it failed resulting in a casualty. As for a camera housing? Good luck with that. If it was mine, I would do it my self. It's just parts.

Keep your feet wet and your ears dry, Muddiver
    "There are old divers and bold divers, but there are no old bold divers". Tom Mix 1995

Dive Con

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    Undefined, don't worry. That will be the dive where you see three things that you've never seen before, and they all hang around and pose for you because they think you have a camera. Never happens when you actually have it along.
    Nikon D300 MDX-D300 and (1) Sea and Sea YS-110 (1)Sea & Sea YS-D1, L & M Sola 600. 60mm Nikkor micro AF-D, 10-17 Tokina, 35mm Nikkor f:2 AF-D, Std. flat port, NX fisheye port
    Nikon F100 in Sea & Sea NX-100 Pro housing with Sea & Sea YS-110
    Oly SP-350/PT-030 Housing Heinrich/Weikamp ttl converter Homemade cheapo tray w/dual loc-line arms

My Photobucket Album

Missing Diva.

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    I'm a Fish!
    Photos
    undefined...I never bother with that. I stick the camera in and go. The only thing taking an empty housing down will show you is if there is a manufacturer's defect, really. And you'd likely see a glaring defect with a careful inspection - done before each use. User error can occur at any time so you won't avoid that just by not having the camera in there ymmv

As for servicing, the manufacturer should be able to tell you how often they recommend and also give you a list of possible service centres. So far, I haven't sent any of my housings in for service...even my trusty Nikonos Vs didn't get annual services. If it ain't broke, I don't fix it LOL Regular, careful and thorough maintenance should give you a nice long life span for your toys!

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    I made it almost six years.....if you have insurance, why do it yearly?

I just sent it to Ikelite, costs about 150. The only reason I sent it, was my strobe quite firing (the cord was bad)

To mail it and do it yearly would have cost me 1,200. dollars so far. I think the most important thing is to flush the buttons individually very well, with fresh water. (which I did every fourth use or so, which is very poor form)
    "A really efficient totalitarian state would be one in which the
    all-powerful executive of political bosses and their army of managers
    control a population of slaves who do not have to be coerced, because
    they love their servitude" -Aldous Huxley

Neither here nor there
    Go Red - Support SB!

- Senior Mod

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I hope Gilligan finds this thread. I know he has serviced his oly housing himself and had it posted on his website, but I can't seem to find it....If you really want to do it, it can be done.