Inexpsenseive Camera, Worthit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I wouldn't bother... I have the Intova IC 600 made by the same company - Snap Sights. It's a bit better camera than that one, but I still wouldn't really recommend it. It doesn't have any underwater settings, which seems kind of odd considering they made it specifically as an underwater digital camera. The manual settings are extremely limited compared to an equally priced Nikon, Canon, or Olympus. And you pretty much have to stick to macro only shots due to the fact that the shutter lag is so significant anything moving is gone before the picture is even taken- makes it pretty much impossible to catch any kind of swimmers.

The three main brand name camera really are the best way to go, even for an amateur. Probably, especially for an amateur.

Whatever you decide, good luck!

I owned one briefly just to test it. I couldn't even take good, well lit photos around the house so I sent it back. Photos were very noisy. If I were you I'd look on the classifieds on this board and wetpixel and find a point and shoot that someone selling used.

Oh, and it eats a set of two AA batteries for almost every single dive...

IMO, you get what you pay for in U/W photography at least.

Yes, it is worth it, only as a back up in the BC pocket. It is also nice when you don't want to carry bulky stuff, and just want a tiny BC pocket camera - just in case.

With the flash on, you get very few photos per set of AAA batteries - whether it is disposable or rechargeable.

With the flash off, you get about 30 to 40 shots. One half to 1/3 of the shots will not have your subject in place, unless you are very anchored and still on the bottom. It has extremely slow trigger time from the button pushed to the shutter. So you would miss your moving targets...

You really need to change batteries between dives. Because even turning on and off the camera to save batteries will burn juice.

I like mine - as a back up. And I like to keep it in my BC, just in case. When I will be diving with my son, he will be the focus of my attention, and not photography, so I don't want any clutter in my hands like a larger camera. But something for the memory of dive trip, this little camera will fit the bill. It takes great pictures at the surface, and good picture at shallow depth with good lighting.

At less than 100 bucks with a free memory chip from Newegg.com, you can't beat the price.

I would have to say - "NO" it's not worth $129 or even $89.

If you're hoping to get the results of a disposable camera (like you get for $14.95 at the wal-mart) then this is probably the camera for you.

Otherwise, save your money, and get a bona fide camera (point and shoot is just fine), and a housing.

I would say it depends alot on what you want to shoot. Most comments so far are rather negative and I can understand that view somewhat. But lets take a look closer at what you are asking. If you have never been into underwater photgraphy then maybe its worth a look at getting a cheap underwater camera to see if you actually want to take photos underwater in the first place without spending a ton of money. Its alwas easy to spend other peoples money so everyone telling you to get this or that camera and spend $500 - $5000+ is very easy to do. What they can't tell you is that you would like taking pics underwater (regardless of the camera) and here is the aweful truth...even those expensive underater cameras and housing can and will flood. Its not a question of if, but when. Also its more stuff to lugg around (delicate stuff infact). So before you go out and spend a lot on a great underwater camera setup it may not be a bad idea to get a cheap camera and see what you l;ike and dislike about taking pics underwater. You won't have spent a fortune and if you truely enjoy taking pics underwater you can look at what is weak about the cheap camera and make a more informed choice on your next camera. I started out with a cheap camera (film based) and upgraded as I saw the need.

Take a look at the link I posted. You can get a great camera set up for a lot less than $500 that has a quality camera. It will also be a lot easier to sell if you decide you don't want to take U/W pictures. Plus it is a great camera you can use topside as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom