How to protect housing lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've wondered about that myself. I haven't beem using a housing for very long so I never really thought about it.

To me, the biggest place to worry about camera damage is in a rinse bucket on a boat. If there are other camera in the buckets, I usually just wrap my camera in a wet towel and keep it out of the fray. I'm seriously considering adding a collapsable drink carrier to use as a personal rinse tank!

Well, i've got the pt015, and bought a 67mm uv filter for it for above water use at least, but i think it may be worth trying it underwater as well. Of all things, i'd really hate the lens on the housing to get scratched.

(oh and a couple reasonable quality 67mm circular polarizers - FOR 2 BUX! - love bargain bins)

steve

I'd be curious to see what the u/w pictures looked like with that uv filter on. Wonder what a star filter would do with a silhouette shot with strong sun flare? Mmmm....

Just remember the more glass there is between you and the subject, the more detail and quality you lose.

wetman once bubbled...
Well, i've got the pt015, and bought a 67mm uv filter for it for above water use at least, but i think it may be worth trying it underwater as well. Of all things, i'd really hate the lens on the housing to get scratched.

(oh and a couple reasonable quality 67mm circular polarizers - FOR 2 BUX! - love bargain bins)

steve

I bought a regular lens cap that will fit the housing.. so when its in the rinse tank or anyplace else where I'm not taking pics its on there.. I am only worried about the lens.. I;m sure the housing itself will get a battle scar or two with time..

For my aquatica 5 housing I found a small bucket that with strips of mini cell foam added inside to act as shims (sp), fits over the lens hood and completely covers the front element. Does it look cool? No! For $5.00 this is the cheapest piece of gear I own. Perhaps one of the nicest aspects of it is that I can set the whole housing lens down, open the back of it to change film. Unless the boat is rocking, I don't worry about the housing falling over...

Mine is a large element, but for smaller ones you might be able to fashion something out of Tupperware.

I read this on Digital Diver...for the Olympus PT-XXXX series of housings, and any of that same size, you can use a Koozie to slip over the barrell. I found an old one and cut it down to about 2" tall. Works like a dream and if you lose it, it's no big deal to replace.

Hi, gang!

For my Subal domes, I use the cover that is sold by the mfg. However, if you are looking for something a little less pricey, try one of the polymer soft lens pouches that you can find in camera shops. They usually come with a pull that will keep it on the dome body.

HOWEVER, I do not put my housing in a rinse bucket unless I am the only photog on board and unless I am sitting right next to the bucket. Too many times have I seen divers "rough house" their gear in a common bucket or divers toss in masks, snorkels or (egad!) weights in a rinse bucket. A damp towel and a shady spot will work just fine. All you really want to do is keep salt from crystallizing and/or the housing getting too warm.

Scorpionfish

I've always said the most dangerous place for your camera is in a community rinse bucket. A wet towel really is all you need on a boat. I have a collapsable beer cooler that my camera fits in that I take on a boat.

Most housing manufacturers do make their own port covers if you can find them! We have the Sea and Sea NX100 which has a rubberised type cover which is perfect for lens protection and you can leave it on in a rinse bucket.

I totally agree however that it is not always wise to leave cameras unattended in a rinse. Unfortunately not all divers (not many divers in fact!) are very good at camera etiquette!

For a cheaper solution: cut up some neoprene, if you have an old wetsuit lying around, and hook it around your control knobs to hold it in place.

Wishing you more than 1 good shot per roll!

CJ.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom