U/W Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

socaldiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am presently using the Reefmaster for my underwater pics, and I am okay with the pics I get, for the most part. However, I am going to pull the string and purchase either the 5050 or possibly the Canon S30 or S40. Still comparing all features between the cameras.

I know that these cameras allow you to take short snips of videos but I am interested also in an actual u/w video camera. A camera that you can shoot 1/2 hour or more of underwater video.

Does anyone out there still shoot with the video camera, if so, what kind of camera is it, housing, etc, etc. Is the camera a digital also or does it use tape?

Sony TR-81 camcorder. It's Hi-8....tape baby, yeah!
I have a ikelite housing that is just as old as the camera, at least 5 years old.

I got ithe camera, housing, with a camera case, red filter, wide angle lens, o-ring lube, two 4 hours batteries, charger, and 5 tapes for $400 from a guy at work that upgraded to a digital camcorder.

I was just at the right place at the right time.

Sure, I'd LIKE to go digital, but it takes great video still (cleaned the heads) and I have an anolog capture card from other projects, so I can put them on my computer pretty easily.

I use a JVC digital (mini DV) camcorder in an Ikelite housing... available as a package from Ikelite for around $2,000. I love it! Everything is recorded digitally on tape, then downloaded to PC via USB cable. I use Pinnacle's Studio DV for editing... capture card and software... about $100... no regrets.

BTW, Cary has an Olympus 4040 in a Light & Motion housing... very nice... very expensive!

Firewire is MUCH faster...
I am just getting into UW video (courtesy of Santa, this year).
I went with the Sony PC120 (digital, mini DV format, still uses a mini DV tape though) and a Gates housing.
I have not tried the rig out yet.
You can shoot stills out of the camera as well.

I appreciate the info so far.

I will have to check out Sony and JVC websites (as well as Ikelite).

Norcal, your setup sounds similar to what I was thinking/visualizing.

I have several video systems but the one I use day in day out is a Sony TRV 17 and Amphibico housing.

Internal filter on the housing means it doesn't get scratched and it is easy to use or not use - flip the lever on the housing front. housing also lets you take stills. I love my video cameras.

I know there are those out there who do not like Amphibico (everyone has their pets) but I have been shooting with them for more than 4 years and haven't had any significant problems. I have had four housings and only one arm has gone down in that time. And when you talk to Amphibico they are very helpful with solutions.

Sony hasn't been particularly customer friendly in the past, but I haven't had any problems with this camera (nor with my TRV900 may it rest in peace at the bottom of the sea) so I am not too worried about that. I also have two Canon's -also with Amphibico housings...should say had...:( and Canon's customer service has always been superior in my experience.

I dive at least several times a week and I always take a video system so the gear gets used (and probably a bit abused some days).

Had two systems do the big gurgle and now have to replace them - I will be posting a request for info...perhaps between the two of us we will get some good answers:) :( :(

Alcina, good point on the flip up filter. Mine doesn't have it, it's either on or off. For me, it's kind of a moot point, because, I don't have enough room in the housing to get the red filter AND the wide angle on. So I usually opt for the wide angle. I can correct the color in premiere after the fact.

2 things:

I wish I had was the 16:9 screen. I have a wide screen TV and it would be nice to fill it up.

and

I wish the wide angle wouldn't crop the corners. I end up with the Hollywwod binocular (or monocular) effect.

Does your camera not let you change the ratio? I know some do - but I can't remember if my trusty ol' Hi-8 did or not.

I don't use a wide angle as for what I shoot I find the camera's lens is suitable...there always seems to be one more thing to think about!

Socal - Probably do to make a list of what types of things you want to shoot to make sure that the system you buy allows you to do it! for me being able to change my mind about the filter is important as i shoot at the bottom, at the surface and in the air and never have to mess with opening the housing.

One more thing to keep in mind...make sure the housing you buy supports the biggest battery you can afford...you can never have too much battery time. Some video cameras don't let you put a different size battery in, so keep that in mind too.

Check Light & Motion housings as well. I use a PC-110 with a Mako Housing....no problems and its compact. The optional monitor back makes shooting a lot easier.

Craig

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom