Reefmaster Mini - Anyone used the macro lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I've decided that this is the camera I'm going to purchase, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has used the macro lenses with this camera?

There is a 3x zoom lens, and there is also a kit that contains the 8x & 16x zoom lenses.

I'm trying to stay within a certain budget, so I'm also trying to decide whether I should buy the wide angle lens & the 3x zoom, OR, just buy the macro kit with the 8x & 16x.

Eventually I'll probably get them all, but I just can't afford them all before we leave for Cozumel in Jan! Anyone have any thoughts on what they think will get the most use? I'm starting to lean toward the macro kit, as this is for hubby & he really wants to take those teeny, tiny macro shots.

Thanks for any input!

I know this isn't the question you asked, but since it sounds like you haven't purchased the camera yet, I thought I'd respond. I had a ReefMaster mini with wide angle lens for about 3 months. Took it on a trip to Cozumel and also dove in a local quarry with it. I wound up selling it on ebay because I just didn't like the way the photos looked. I wound up sticking with my Sea & Sea DX5000.

I sold this for several reasons:
a) Picture quality. At highest quality (largest image), the pictures all had tints of red in them. This was especially noticeable on land and underwater with the strobe. To get better looking pictures, I had to place this on the next highest (medium) resolution.
b) The wide angle lens doesn't really add much more to the viewing angle - especially compared with the wide angle I had for the Sea & Sea. It also just "pops" on the front of the camera and I was always concerned with losing it.

I never paid the money to purchase the macro kit - too unhappy with the camera to do that. I had an older Sealife 5 MP that was much better than the Reefmaster Mini that I sold on eBay - it was also a better camera though the strobe reliability was dicey. For my money, the Sea & Sea is a better choice and worth the extra money. You can get great Macro shots without an adapter and a later investment in a wide angle lens is really, really worth it.

Sorry I didn't really answer your question directly, but felt compelled to give you my opinion on the Reefmaster mini

Thanks for your reply, Brit.
I wish I had the cash right now for a setup like that, but it's just a lot more than I can spend.
Maybe next time around. I appreciate your thoughts though.

SS,
The sealife 3x macro (sl-951) and the 8x/16x macro kit (sl-959) are not designed for the mini. I know cause I was gonna offer to sell you mine

But I wouldn't sell something you can't use

Unless there's a special macro set for the mini but I'm getting this right off sealifes website so you would think they would mention it.
Accessories | 3X Close-up Lens & Underwater Filter

Good luck. And if you want to go with something a little older, used but a complete kit, I've got a Sealife DC300 for sale, it would include a wide angle and all three macros plus an external strobe/flash (if you're not already hip to it, the strobe pretty much is mandatory with the sealifes, I couldn't get a decent picture without it).

I'd let the whole kit go for the price of a new mini. Of course, this could be all overtaken by events and you might be on your way diving right now.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...076-sale-sealife-dc300-underwater-camera.html

Best regards

Knowing the budget you have might also help us give you some viable alternatives.

I'm not a fan of these cameras and for every person I hear of who is happy with the results I hear of three who are so disappointed that they spent that money on the system that didn't perform very well. I think most everyone I have seen who has/had this set up has moved to something else before too long - the interest level in these units seems to fade quite quickly as limitations are reached almost immediately.

I just picked up some Canon A570s for just over $150; housings are another $160ish. It seems like kind of a lot maybe (don't know your budget) but they work and they work right out of the box with no hassles. There are a couple of very good threads on these and some other models by various companies at the moment - you might want to check them out, too, if it's not too late!

Whether you get this system or something else, there are many things you can do to make sure you are getting the best from it right away. Check out the Sticky at the top of the forum - follow the Pink Link in my signature for easy access - as there are tons of tips and links to tricks and ideas to get the most from your time underwater!

Have fun and post lots of photos when you get back!

Thanks for your thoughts. After some thought, I did end up purchasing a Canon A570IS - it arrived last week :) Hubby seems very happy with my choice. I think this camera will definitely be one that will 'grow' with him. It sure was exciting to see him kopen it Christmas morning. And seeing as I know very little about underwater photography, he was quite impressed with my choice.

We leave for Cozumel on Saturday, so I'll try to post some pics when we get back.

Oops... above post should have been from "Scuba Sweetie".. must have somehow logged in under hubbys name automatically.

LOL - fabulous on the new camera - can't wait to see some shots.

Make sure to hit the Sticky for the getting started pointers...they've been compiled and updated regularly and should really kick start his adventure!

I just purchased the Sealife Reefmaster Mini with the strobe. I have never been in the water with a camera. I have practiced above water and was not super happy with those photos but this is the camera I could afford. I plan on getting some practice shots in the water but does anyone who owns a Mini have any pointers. I will reading up on UW photos but want help from Sealife Mini "experts". I know there are better cameras out there but this is mine now.

I used to have the Reefmaster but moved on to the Canon and the Olympus. Now I'm not saying the reefmaster sucks bad, but I had to send the camera back to Sealife so many times that I stopped counting at number 5 when sending the package through fedex. The one thing I am looking forward to is upgrading my strobe which is the Olympus UFL-1 to the new Sealife SL691D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom