FYI - saw a great deal on 512MB CF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

notabob

Contributor
Reaction score
Hope this isn't considered spam, but with the number of folks on here who use hi-res cameras, I thought it could be of interest. Dell is selling Sandisk 512MB compact flash for $97 w/free shipping and no mail-in rebates. Cheers!

-Roman.

http://www.slickdeals.net/#p2974

That's a great price notabob, My camera won't take the compact flash it takes the smart media cards. (Olympus C-3020) I haven't been able to find anything bigger than 128MB. Have you seen anything out there that bigger. If so where can I go to buy one?

Thanks in advance for all your help
Nathan

sorry, haven't seen any SM deals. The website that is I linked to occasionally lists some really good deals on digital media as well as many other things. Keep checking it and you should be able to find something sooner or later. Good luck!

-Roman.

My 4040 uses Smart Media cards. The largest they make is the 128mg, although I've heard rumors of larger cards that never appear.

The old CP880 uses CF cards...mmmmm?

Thanks for the heads-ups, Roman. We are all interested in good deals and sharing them is not the same as advertising something you will see a financial gain from...unless you own Dell and haven't told us about it! :eek:

But Dee! 5050 can use Compact Flash!!! See, it's yet another reason for you to upgrade. Cheap high-capacity media :)

-Roman.

For those with the C-5050Z, the 1GB IBM Microdrive is CF format and is selling for around $200

duncanjc once bubbled...
For those with the C-5050Z, the 1GB IBM Microdrive is CF format and is selling for around $200

I'm not a big fan of those for UW use. Microdrives, while giving plenty of capacity at low price, are mechanical devices and as such are more prone to damage. They cannot withstand the same stresses and shock levels that a solid state CF can, and have environmental limitations (altitude, humidity, etc.). Underwater use is pretty rigorous on the hardware - shocks from bumping around in the rinse bucket and at water entry, higher than usual humidity levels inside the housing, etc. With the price of solid state cards dropping all the time, personally I'd stick to those. Granted, I've heard of a few people using the microdrives underwater with good results, but I'd still be reluctant to use them for fear of premature failure. Of course, that's just my opinion. :)

-Roman.

notabob once bubbled...
But Dee! 5050 can use Compact Flash!!! See, it's yet another reason for you to upgrade. Cheap high-capacity media :)

-Roman.

You guys aren't making it easy to resist upgrading, ya know! I just keep thinking what cool stuff will be on the next 'new model' that comes out. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom