OK, now I'm worried about this underwater photography thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
The thing is, my wife and I did our first sea dives over the Easter weekend and was instantly consumed by the new world down there. We arrived back home and went to a camera shop the very next day to buy a digital compact and underwater casing. Next time we'd be ready to capture all those wonderful creatures forever!

So, this weekend is the next time but I just read this thread in which TSandM makes a very good point about new divers and underwater photography.

And it all rings true because I know that I've only just about started getting my buoyancy under control and seeing as I'll be diving in a brand new 5mm wetsuit, I'm not sure how that will affect my buoyancy. That, and the fact that my air consumption also still requires some work still makes me wonder how wise it is to be taking a camera with me.

Aaarrrghh!!! But then also, you can't go diving and not take your brand spanking new camera with you!

Poor baby...... As much as you will hate it...get at least 20 dives under your belt before you take your camera down.....

It really depends how well you can control your buoyancy and how comfortable you are in the water. I've seen some new divers who are very good in thew water and have been using a camera with no problems. You mentioned a new wetsuit, that would mean you have to get used to diving with that before taking a camera.

Frankly, if you are not very comfortable in the water, your shots are not going to turn out the way you want anyway.

I can tell you from experience buoyancy control and picture taking are of the utmost importance. A way to experience it and further your education is to take AOW, take photography and peek performance buoyancy as two of the dives.... believe it or not having a camera in hand while diving adds a layer of task loading, but it also helped me improve my SAC rate.

I did it, it helped, also talk to other divers taking photos about their techniques.... the more you dive the better you will get your buoyancy under control.

I know how you feel. How about this.....if you have two dives this next time, do the first WITHOUT the camera and then do the second dive with the camera attached to your D ring of the BC (or in the pocket) just so that you have it with you....IF you feel comfortable, remove, take the shot and put it back.... Many resorts even prohibit cameras on the checkout dive so non regular divers can refresh their diving skills and get used to the rental gear.

However....I do agree with the rest. You MUST feel comfortable diving. Nothing worse than if something were to go wrong and you panic UW. Also, poor buoyancy may lead to reef damage due to your fins kicking and stabbing onto the reef. There will be PLENTY of opportunities to take good pics when you get more experienced.

hi guys just wanted to say that i ignored the rules a bit and took my camera with me on all of my dives, i did how ever get the instructor to take my camera down and when i was comfortable enough to take some shots i asked my instructor to give me my camera, i now know that it takes a lot more dives than my 15 or so to be able to deal with everything thats going on when i add a camera to the mix, i also found that while i was down and some lovely photos presented themselfs i nearly always ended up messing the photo up because of my lack of good buoyancy control,. i would suggest that anyone who insists on taking there camera with them on a dive has an instructor or dm with them that can watch out for them rather than a buddy who has very little dives like oneself, i also got a lot of better pictures while snorkle diving between the surface and 10 metres or so, it gives u a lot more time to mess around with ur cameras functions and different settings and u also get to stick around at one subject for long instead of having to chase after ur group of fellow divers, ur buddy will thank u for it and so will u when in the future u scuba assisted pictures are a lot better because of all the practice u have had with ur camera in the shallow water

It's more than just buoyancy control. A camera has a serious impact on your ability to be a dive buddy ... you will find yourself focusing your awareness completely through the lens of the camera, and relying on your dive buddy to keep track of you.

I had several hundred dives under my weightbelt when I started taking pictures, and it still affected my ability to be a good dive buddy ... I had to re-examine my whole approach to buddy diving, and make a more conscious effort to keep track of where my buddy was and what they were doing.

To my concern, a camera will inhibit a new diver's ability to develop your basic skills. As painful as it sounds, I recommend that you get your buoyancy skills to the point where maintaining a good hover is automatic ... you don't have to put conscious effort into it. Equally important, use those dives to consciously develop good buddy skills. Once you're comfortable with both of those ... THEN add a camera to the mix.

I wrote an article on the subject once ... not sure if I posted it here or not, so I'll dig it out and post it as part of this thread. You ... or the person you are diving with ... may find it helpful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Photographer’s Dive Buddy

by Bob Bailey

Like many of you, I like to take pictures underwater. And before I got a camera, I dived frequently with other people who took pictures. Bringing a camera underwater … or diving with someone else who does … can put a strain on a dive buddy relationship. I’d like to share with you some of the things I’ve learned over the years about being a photographer’s dive buddy … and about diving with others while I was the photographer.

When one or both divers in a buddy team take a camera with them, the picture-taking demands a great deal of the diver’s mental “bandwidth” … and the diver is less able to maintain a good buddy relationship. In order to maintain the team, both divers need to compensate for this fact by establishing “roles” that give each diver certain responsibilities. Discussing these roles before the dive helps establish a routine that maintains the buddy relationship during the dive.

Being a photographer’s dive buddy takes a certain mental approach. You need to view the successful achievement of the photographer as a critical part of your dive plan, rather than something that’s incidental to it. You need to tailor your role to that of a helper rather than a passive observer with goals of your own. Often this requires an adjustment in how you dive.

As a photographer’s dive buddy you need to maintain a position where the photographer can easily see you at all times … keep in mind that photographers are spending even more than the usual effort actively seeking photo opportunities. It is especially important to make an active effort to be “seen” while your buddy is taking a picture. Looking through the camera’s viewfinder narrows their field of view considerably. You want to be in a position where your buddy doesn’t have to look around for you when taking pictures, but instead simply has to look up or slightly to the side to find you. In high ambient light, this means positioning yourself facing the photographer, where they can see you without taking their eyes off the viewfinder. In more “normal” Puget Sound conditions, shining your dive light to the side of the subject is a good way to achieve this … just remember to keep it out of the field of the photo, because it’s also important not to interfere with the photographer’s ability to get the shot. And be careful with your trim and buoyancy control … the last thing a photographer wants is a silt tsunami rolling across the subject as they’re lining up the shot. So facing the photographer and keeping your fins pointed away from the subject is always a good idea. Proper positioning is a learned skill that takes forethought, effort and practice … just like good buoyancy control, trim and finning techniques.

The photographer has some additional responsibilities too. Diving with a camera narrows your view and increases your task-loading. Managing both a camera and a buddy is easier if you maintain good communication protocols with each other. Before taking a picture, establish eye contact with your dive buddy and make sure that they are where you expect them to be. Don’t wander off or change direction if you spot something interesting … get your buddy’s attention first and signal your intention by pointing out the subject to your dive buddy. Be patient and move slowly, to allow your dive buddy the opportunity to get in position before you set up the shot.

Establishing roles becomes even more important when both divers have cameras. Diving side-by-side becomes almost mandatory, because both of you will be looking for things to take pictures of, and will have less mental bandwidth than usual for your dive buddy. A lot of times, agreeing to “alternate” roles as observer and photographer helps keep the team integrity intact. And when one diver finds a particularly interesting subject, you alternate roles while each diver takes a turn photographing the subject. It is rarely a good idea for both divers to be taking pictures simultaneously … unless conditions allow you to both be taking pictures of the same subject at the same time. Always keep in mind that seeing the dive through a viewfinder dramatically narrows both your vision and awareness … and consciously maintain a part of your awareness for your dive buddy.

It really boils down to setting mutual expectations and determining roles before the dive by talking about it and agreeing to it, and then putting those roles into practice during the dive. At first it may seem awkward or cumbersome, but with practice it becomes easy and automatic … and buddies who dive together regularly tend to pick up these skills rather quickly.

And remember that not everyone will make a good photographer’s dive buddy … our personalities, goals, and diving styles determine both our comfort level and ability to dive with a photographer. Some divers find it boring … or even annoying … to hover in one spot while a photographer lines up a shot (or shot-after-shot in some cases). Others don’t mind, but prefer to be passive observers. While still others get enjoyment out of actively finding subjects to photograph and diving in a way that contributes to the photographer’s success.

It is up to each of us, as a photographer or someone who’s contemplating being a photographer’s dive buddy, to determine where in that continuum our interests lie … and being honest with ourselves and our dive buddy about our comfort level diving with someone who wants to take pictures while diving.

I agree that you should get at least 20 dives under your belt. Right now, you're a danger to just about everything under the sea.

First, you're a danger to yourself. Its easy to forget about the basics (depth, air remaining) when you are busy behind the camera chasing the next subject

Second, you're a danger to your dive buddy. In one case, you may not be there to assist them if they have a problem. You might not even be aware of you where your buddy is. In the other case, you may endanger your buddy when they have to save you because you weren't paying attention to the diving fundamentals.

Third, you're a danger to the reef. Without excellent buoyancy skills, you'll probably end up squashing the little creatures that you are there to see. This can cause permanent danger to corals that have spent hundreds or thousands of years trying to grow large enough for you to lay on them.

Without good diving skills, your photos aren't going to be very good, anyways. Save yourself, your buddy, and the reef by getting a little more experience first.

Good luck on your new diving adventures. The same fish will still be there after your twentieth dive.

David

I understand how excited you are to capture all of the wonder of the underwater world. There is no "rule" per se about how many dives you need before taking a camera down like there is for other things, e.g. "never hold your breath." The amount of dives suggested are just that...suggestions. I've seen divers with 200 or more dives totally mess up the reef with their rigs, and their SAC is crap. If I'm in a situation in which I feel the least bit apprehensive, the camera stays on board. I think you have to learn to use your judgment. That being said, when I dive without a camera and there is a shot I would have liked to have gotten, what I do is practice taking it without the camera. I try to keep still, get a nice composition without messing up the reef, etc. Try practicing that first. But I have to warn you, it is totally not the same thing. I can have spot on buoyancy without the camera and then, when I get all excited about capturing a "once-in-a-lifetime" shot, I start to hyperventilate and feel like a spaz.:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom