1st camera purchase HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Debbi Gogola

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase my first underwater camera. I have been researching the Motor Marine ex Pro II as well as the Nikonos v. Opinions would be great. Im so confused with all of the choices out there.Thanks in advance,

I have an MMIIEX and am happy with it.
The Nikonos is more popular, however.
The arguments fly back and forth, and as near as I can figure, the Nikonos people claim superior optics and better quality photos. I haven't ssen many Nikonos prints that are better than my best ones, and I don't know that anyone has tested them in a lab to compare, but that's the popular perception.

On the other hand, the MMIIEX allows changing lenses underwater in the middle of a dive, which is impossible with the Nikonos.

It's easier to find a used Nikonos on Ebay than it is to find a used MMIIEX, if that's a consideration.
The percentage of Prof. photographers with Nikonos is higher. This may however, be due to Nikonos being out longer and having greater long-term familiarity.
I know this isn't definitive, but it's the best info I've been able to find. Most of us are more limited by our ability as photographers and divers than by our equipment. I certainly am. Whichever you get, practice, practice, practice.
Utah Diving has a photo course online that's a good free starter.

John

Good luck.

Now I'm less confused, but still cant decide which to buy!. I am leaning to the MMIIEX pro tho. I like the fact you can change the lenses underwater. Thanks for the web site it has alot of real helpful stuff.Thanks again. Happy bubbles!Debbi G

Debbie, are you still out there? The Nikonos is the old standard for non-slr uw cameras, but has had no development in years. The Sea and Sea cameras, on the other hand, have been the subject of recent and continuing developments.

There is, in my opinion, a great way to use the strengths of both companies: Nikonos camera and Sea and Sea lenses. First and formost, DO NOT BUY THE NIKONOS 35 MM LENS: it is almost useless unless yhou do macro photography with extension tubes. Period! I think the most user friendly lens is the Sea and Sea 15mm. It is less expensive than the Nikon version and takes very, very good photos. The 20mm is also great. Unfortunately, the camera at about $600 and the lens at about $500 to $900 are a very big investment. And you still have to but the tray and, most important of all, the flash(es).

It is almost impossible to get into the hobby without spending over $3000 for your gear. But, I think it is worth it. If you do not want to spend that much, Ikelite and Sea and Sea make good point and shoot cameras--but you can expect the usual blue photos with them because the aperatures and flashes are deficient for uw photography.

Hope this helps--oh yes, get a good book if you have not already. Jim Church's or Martin Edge's are great.

Joewr

Hi Debbie,
Here is another angle for you to concider. I have been using a MX-10 for several years and it does a good job for what it is and it is a good mid level camera. But, as with land photgraphy, I get more fair to poor shots than great ones and as a result, I waste a lot of film, processing and money. With the improvements in digital cameras, the price of them coming down and the avalibility of uw housing for them. It may be that they are now a better option than a 35mm. With their ability to instantly view the shot and delete it, the possibility of getting the shot you want is greatly improved and that dolphine that shows up just after you take the last exposure on the roll will not get away. Also, storage and printing of the pictures is a lot more flexable. Any of you out there using a digital cameras??

Depending on your experience level and your goals as an underwater photographer, you *may* be looking at a bit more camera than you need to begin. Without getting into a long dissertation, see my Bonaire shots with the Aquashot 3 (simple point-and-shoot camera).
If these are the kind of shots you're after, I'd recommend a less expensive point-n-shoot system as your first, after which you'll be much better equiped to make the decision on what to get as a "professional" grade camera.

Rick

Nice photo's Rick, were you using the standard lens or one of the macro's on the closeups? Here is a link to some of mine from Bonaire July 2000 using a MX-10/YS-40
http://www.imageharbor.com/?user=herman

I agree that one of the less expensive cameras may well be the best way to go until she gets the hang of using a uw camera. The new Ikelite Auto 35 looks like it might be worth looking into.

Thanks for all of the help. I rented a mx5 while on vacation in Fla. It wasnt the camera it was me that didnt take very good pictures for the first two rolls! I think the point and shoot is the way for me for now until I get used to scuba and photography. Its nothing like on land and will take some practice. Rick great photos!

Debbi,

Whatever type of camera you choose, make sure you can get an external strobe to go with it. They are a must for good underwater photos, the MX-5 does not have one to go with it.

I started out with a Sea & Sea MX-10. I learned the basics with that camera and still use it occasionally. When it came time to upgrade, I considered the Nikonos. Having heard for years how much better it was supoosed to be, I started researching. When it was all said and done, I chose to go with the S&S MMII EX-pro.

Price was a big consideration. Living in Texas, diving in the local low vis lakes makes photography a wasted effort! I only get to take 3-4 dive trips a year to clear water so I had to justify the expense. The lenses for the Nikonos are so expensive that I wouldn't have been able to buy them very often. As someone mentioned, others talk about the optics being so superior over the S&S lenses. If I was going to make a living from these photos, or even enlarge them to poster size, that might be a consideration but for me the difference just isn't noticable enough to warrant the extra expense. I enlarge lots of my photos, some to 11x14, and they look great.

I've had my MMII a couple of years now and am totally satisfied with it. It's easy to use, easy to maintain and I get the results I want at a price that's easy to afford. You can see some of my photos here.

HTH
Dee

Back
Top Bottom