Wed. Photo - Freshwater fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
OK...I almost forgot! But like they say better late than never!

Since I got to dive today, what about some freshwater fish for everyone?

f2.3, 1/125
abg.sized.jpg

Are you aure that's where you took it? The grass looks like the same stuff we have in Twin Lakes and your Smallie could surely pass for some of our Stripeys without the stripe!

Good shot! :thumb:

Dont'cha just love the little Nippers? :wink:

Thanks for starting this thread Dee. We can't let the marine critters get all the glory. :)

Here's another f/w fish from my collection. Some kind of catfish taken at Blue Grotto. Not a very good picture, but does anybody know what it is?

Mike
http://www.ecoserve.net/scuba/scuba.htm

P2210282b.jpg

Nice shots everyone!
Cranekim -for your first photo that one is outstanding! Looks like I could reach out and pet him! NICE!

I hope to have some to add soon now that the ice is melted and Spring is finally here. Thanks for sharing.

What you've got there is a plecostomus. A bottom dweller with a large sucker mouth ringed with small teeth that eats algae. It's native to South America and has been a big part of the aquarium trade for 50+ years.

People buy them for their aquariums to control the algae..they can keep the glass clean as a whistle! When bought they are only a couple inches long. However, they grow very large...I've had them grow to well over 12" in about 14 months. Some pet shops will take them when they get too large for peoples tanks but only if they have other customers with large tanks or maybe a fish pond. And so alot of prople just dump them in their local lakes, streams and quarries. To the extent that in areas they are a real problem to the native fishes. It not that unusual to see them now, expecially in places that have alot of big rocks. I've seen several large ones in Lake Travis, in Austin.

Back
Top Bottom