Redang Island July '09 with Lumix LX3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed_Dman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from another short trip to Redang Island in Malaysia. Here are some of the shots to share. All images were taken with my Lumix LX3, Twin Inon Z240, UWL100 Achromat + Dome Unit and 10Bar Housing. This is my 2nd try with the setup. All constructive comments and criticisms are welcome... Happy Viewing! ^_^

p1010005f.jpg

p1000977.jpg

p1000929.jpg

p1000959.jpg

p1000961.jpg

Ed.

Diver & The Reef... :D

p1000979.jpg

p1000982.jpg

p1000950.jpg

p1000934k.jpg

Ed.

Mermaid Divers... :D

p1000973s.jpg

p1000971.jpg

p1000942w.jpg

Ed.

Last Batch! Da Reefs & Da Sun... :wink:

p1010027u.jpg

p1010024o.jpg

p1010023o.jpg

p1010019l.jpg

Thanks for viewing! ^_^

Ed.

Beautiful shots, as always! Are you no longer using your G10/Canon cameras?

Thanks Fuggler.
Me now using the Lumix LX3, sold off my G10 already... Hehe... :D

Ed.

Thanks Fuggler.
Me now using the Lumix LX3, sold off my G10 already... Hehe... :D

Ed.

:shocked2: How come?!

I don't think it matters what you shoot with though. (You're just that great!) These wide angle shots are just as brilliant as your macro ones. Looking forward to more pics from you with this new rig.

:shocked2: How come?!

I don't think it matters what you shoot with though. (You're just that great!) These wide angle shots are just as brilliant as your macro ones. Looking forward to more pics from you with this new rig.

Thanks again... :D

Basically, both are really good cameras, each have their pros and cons. I have a very strong passion for diving, especially UWP. I enjoy shooting the small critters and the colorful reefs. In short, I want a camera that can give me both... :wink:
The G10 has a default of 28mm, but UW it becomes 30+mm and since I'm using the OEM housing, I can't attached any WA lenses so I ended modifying the dome unit to fit the OEM housing (for my Fak-fak trip). I was pretty unhappy with my Canon during my Maldives trip, last year. Imaging shooting Mantas & Whale Sharks with a 30+mm camera (UW), total frustration. No doubt, the Canon G series has fantastic macro capability, but when it comes to WA, nothing to shout about. Even with a third party housing, changing of port is required (to a shorter port, limiting the zoom function). Basically, to gain certain thing, I have to sacrifice the other.

The LX3 really fulfilled my needs, I can shoot macros and WA with the same camera. The LX3 has a default of 24mm and with the Inon UWL100 + Dome Unit, I'm getting around 18-20mm and that's probably the widest you can get from a compact camera now, wished I had it during both my Maldives & Fak-fak trip. :(
However, the macro capability of LX3, can't compare to the G10. At the same time, I feel that the market will be going for a wider and wider lens (looking at the the trend now). When the lens get wider, I foresee the zoom function being reduced (just like the G9 to G10).

The thing I like about the G10 is the macro capability and faster focusing. However, I believe Lumix(Panasonic) has the R&D and technology in improving their products. Moreover, they are using Leica lenses (everyone knows the quality). I realized is that images from G10 tend to be sharper than the LX3 on the cameras LCD, but when uploaded onto a computer, images from LX3 are sharper. Like I said earlier, Gain some, Loose some! :D

That's the reason I switched and anyway, I've always like the challenge of trying out something new. Just like diving, it feels great to be the first few to explore a new site and then tell others about it. Hehe... :cool2:

I strongly believe, Lumix is going be a force to be reckon with, in the near future. Just check out their technology: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0903/09030316...xgh1handson.asp

Ed.

*Anyway, it's just my personal opinion. I think both cameras are fantastic, just that I find the Lumix LX3 fits me more.

Awesome pics Ed !! I have never seen a red Frogfish before !

Some great insights into camera choices as well - I agree on the poor WA offerings on some the latest compact flash cameras.

Some great insights into camera choices as well - I agree on the poor WA offerings on some the latest compact flash cameras.

There's probably been at least 1 G10-related post on this forum everyday this year. Now I'm expecting more "Should I get the Lumix LX 3?!!!" posts instead. lol

ED - I felt your pain with the G10's lack of WA capability last week when I did the manta ray night dive in the Big Island of Hawai'i. I ended up just taking videos!

Back
Top Bottom