Digital Video Camera Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stargirl

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a webpage where you can find housings for digital video cameras. We have a JVC Mini DV - I think it's a GR-DVL 500 or 300. Have to ask the hubby which one is the right one.

Anyway...last summer we met a guy on one of our dives in Belize that had a housing for his camera. Told us where he got it, but I can't remember. He was nice enough to send us a copy of the video that he did. After seeing the video - we really want the capability to do it!

I think he said that the housing was pretty spendy - around $1,500? I don't know if we can justify the cost right now - since we don't get to go diving that often anymore. However, we're going to Cozumel this summer and at the very least I guess we'll hire someone to do a video for us. I've heard that they'll do it for around $50.

Any info is appreciated! Thanks!

There are so many choices for a UWVH it is hard to limit to two or three choices.

Ikelite (www.ikelite.com) makes hosuings for all types of cameras. They are pricy but very good and reliable. Look to spend 1200.00 or more.

Equinox (www.underwatervideohousings.com) makes housings that are useful by several types of cameras.

I have one of the Pro 6 and a Pro 8 and I like them both and have shot hunderds of hours of video with the two cameras and housings. They are int he 950.00 price range so a bit cheaper that some of the others.

A third choice is a yellow jacket housing. You put the camera in turn it on, close the housing and take paictres, retunr to the surface and open the housing and shut it off. Not elgant, but at 200.00 chaep. This guy sells on e-bay all the time.

Mike...

I would call/email the folks at Backscatter (www.backscatter.com). They are a fabulous underwater video/photo store in Monterey CA. Very knowledegable. They do not carry all the various lines of housings, but they may be able to tell you what manufacturers make housings for that camera.

Video housings are not made for all makes and models of camcorder (your best luck will be with sony and canon camcorders). If you cant find one for your particular model and are not willing to get a different camera, contact ikelite. They do custom housings for a reasonable price.

For video I use a Sony TRV-900 (no longer made, replaced by TRV-950) and one of Warrens housings (www.usvh.com). I want a light & motion (www.uwimaging.com) Bluefin housing (and access to the white balance control) but not willing to foot the bill (its a great housing but expensive).

I agree with asking Backscatter--they're very knowledgeable. Warren at USVH doesn't make housings for JVC--just Sony, and perhaps Canon, as he uses the LANC connections for magnetic switches, as opposed to mechanical, such as Ikelite. Ikelite seems to make more housings for more cameras than anybody, and actually, they are less expensive than a lot of the aluminum or composite housings like those mentioned in other posts.
I'd try a google search and see what I come up with.
Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom