Help with Backscatter please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Alright, I know there's a way to do it in Photoshop (using some sort of cloning tool - a friend told me of this), but I am clueless as how to.

I'd like to be able to go in and eliminate flecks of backscatter on some of my photos, can someone explain how to do?

I'm working with Photoshop 5.5 here.

Thanks,

AD

I can tell you how to do it in PS Elements, but not PS5.

Here's a link to a list of tutorials. I've looked at a lot of them but not all. There's some great info in there if you want to dig for it.

Tutorial list

not sure about 5.5 - i've only got 6 and 7.

for windows version
look at the tools bar for a icon that looks like a rubber stamp. it's in the upper middle left on the newer versions.

click that,
then select 'brush size', a little smaller than the defect.
move the pointer to just off the defect and ALT rightclick to pick up the color to use.
move over the defect and rightclick to place color.
repeat around the defect till it's filled (it's best to work from both sides towards the middle).
if it's large it may still be a little rough so you switch to the markee or lasso tool and select the basic area with ~10 pixel feather then apply a guasian blur of ~ 10. that should clean it up. if not repeat the filter.

James has it right. You can also use an easier, not as effective method. Under filters, use despekle or better yet dust and scratches. I've been using photoshop since version 3 so the features run together... I'm certain 5.5 has those filters. However you are far better off using the clone (rubber stamp) tool. If you manage to get Photoshop 7, the healing brush is an awesome improvment on those tools.

Thanks guys!

The rubber stamp tool is what I was thinking of. Appreciate it!

AD

Back
Top Bottom