Good underwater camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kaylex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find what I was looking for. We are going to Cozumel on vacation and will be doing alot of snorkeling. I don't have time to get scuba certified untill after we return. I am looking for a good camera to take pictures with that I can later use for scuba diving as well. I have kinda looked at the sealife dc1200 but would like some opinions from people that have used underwater cameras. Is this a good camera? Though I am somewhat concerned with the price I am more concerned with picture quality. Also want one that I can later add strobes and lenses too. Any advice and/or tips would be appreciated.

Really depends on quality of pics you want----but, the Canon S90(& now the S95) are gunna be 2 good ones to look @-----Also, any of the G's (ie 9 thru 11)----All have Canon UW cases available for sometimes neat little packages....I currently shoot a A570(dc'ed unfortuneatly about a year or 2 ago)...See my pics in my sig if you like for some Canon shots without an external strobe.....(I'm not into Nat Geog shots, just some 8X10's to hang on the wall for my memories).....

Now saying this, you're gunna get a lot of different recommendations---all will probably be great ideas, just some will cost ALOT more than my suggestions.....

The DC1200 is not a bad camera. I was pretty impressed with it. If you are looking to get a nice entry level setup with a strobe I would recommend the elite package.

ShootingUnderwater.com - Shooting Underwater - Buy, compare, and review underwater photo and video equipments.

If you don't have a strobe set up you probably won't get too many good pictures simply because the lack of lighting makes it difficult to get great pictures. It's great for a entry level setup, which is what Sealife has been known to make.

I have the DC1200 Elite set-up. It is a good camera. Very easy to use and set up. Pictures come good for the camera. No you dont get th eshots or quality of professional people but your not also spending 2K on a camera. For what it is I think the camera does nicely, I am happy with it. The piano keys are a nice touch makes using the camera underwater easier.

If you click on my name you will see a few pics that have been taken with DC1200 to get an idea.

Underwater photography is pretty tough. Unless you are diving in very shallow water, you are going to need strobes because otherwise you will miss more and more of the red end of the spectrum the deeper you do.

Not only do you need to buy a camera but you need to buy the underwater housing which usually costs as much as the camera. Then you have to buy strobes.

As far as a camera, it depends on what your objectives are. If you just want some top side shots, some shallow water "landscapes", shots of other divers underwater and deeper shots that will be all blue and green, a point and shoot will do you fine. A problem that point and shoots have is "shutter lag". That is the time it takes for the camera to take a shot after you push the shutter. That is OK for many things. But the small rapidly moving fish like damsel fish, and butterfly fish will be too fast moving to get consistantly good results from.

If you want high quality photos with realistic colors that you can blow up for display, you will need a DSLR with strobes and multiple housings and lenses.

First of all, there is no "Best Camera" because they all have trade-offs. It just depends on what is "best" for you.

I'd suggest reading the article/review from Backscatter on "Best Underwater Cameras" where the author discusses many cameras, their pros/cons and why he believes they are worthy.

Best Underwater Point-and-Shoots

The reviews go from:

Olympus FE-360: Best low cost pocket camera
This was a surprise winner for 2010. Last year we honored this camera as our staff top pick for best low cost automatic point and shoot. Due to its great features and continued availability it again made our top shelf selection. As with the other cameras in this category, the FE-360 only offers exposure compensation (no manual), but its tiny size and unbeatable price wins us over. You can buy a complete camera and 40m / 130ft rated housing combo for well under $200 and it blows all competitors away in image quality at this price point.
to
Fisheye CanonG11 Package... A complete package of camera, housing, wide port, and strobe costs $3230, but this solid system will be shooting and diving for many years to come.

So what is it YOU want to spend?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I could not find what I was looking for. We are going to Cozumel on vacation and will be doing alot of snorkeling. I don't have time to get scuba certified untill after we return. I am looking for a good camera to take pictures with that I can later use for scuba diving as well. I have kinda looked at the sealife dc1200 but would like some opinions from people that have used underwater cameras. Is this a good camera? Though I am somewhat concerned with the price I am more concerned with picture quality. Also want one that I can later add strobes and lenses too. Any advice and/or tips would be appreciated.

I dove with someone who had bought that camera and returned it due to terrible picture quality. This was a Dutch diver who had decided instead on a Canon G11 in Ikelite housing with Ikelite DS51 strobe. It's a bit more expensive, but she said the other was just unusable. She was much happier with the Canon and loved the strobe. I was shooting with her and she got a lot of great shots with that camera setup. I think I have a pic of her with that setup, below.

The G11 and S90 are the two top choices for Point and Shoots; I have used both and prefer the S90 for its wide angle capability. On paper they look similar, but the lens of the S90 moves less when zooming and that allows the port to be smaller and to accommodate wide angle wet lenses better. The G11 is slightly better for extreme close-ups, so they have appeal to different users.

Attachments

• IMG_0478 red.jpg
    IMG_0478 red.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 96
Thanks for the information, I think I need to look more before I buy something.

See my post below on the best underwater camera for the money....

Before you assume you don't have time to get certified in Cozumel, you need to look in to a couple options...
1. PADI has the classroom portion completely online. My wife did this and then did her pool and check out dives in the Caribbean.
2. I have personally seen Mike at Papa Hogs in Cozumel train divers in just a couple days and do the best job at safety I've ever seen. Check it out at papahogs dot com.
p.s. You can do your PADI online first or at papa hogs. It just gives you more dive time if you get it done first.

Hi Kaylex:
I want to throw in my two cents (you can offer change if you don't like it). The link above on the best underwater point and shoots doesn't give the whole picture. The report is from Backscatter. They have good info but in my opinion biased. It appears they are only reporting on what they sell. For under $200 I purchased the Intova IC12 (camera and housing). Compared to the Olympus FE360 the Intova has much better specs and in my opinion, quality. The Olympus FE360 is an 8mp. The Intova IC12 is a 12mp. That's significantly different. I have also found Intova to give extremely good tech support and service.
Additionally, the case on the Olympus is similar to the case on my old IC5. It is nowhere near the quality of my IC12 or even my older IC10.
A far as flash goes, the Fantasea Remora is actually the same unit (repackaged) as the Intova ISS4000. I am on my fifth underwater camera after many years of diving. I am really impressed with the price point of Intova. I have some tips on my website for underwater photography at drmark920 dot com. I hope this helps. So there's my two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom