Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Clean Your Camera Housing Inside and Out?

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499

Clean Your Camera Housing Inside and Out?

Need some suggestions how to clean a FIX camera housing. After diving and the beach, some very fine sand got into the gasket area of a G11 Fisheye housing. The silicon grease kind of helps the sand stick in the grooves. I want to wash the case inside and out with some fresh water and air, but is there a mild detergent than can be used to remove the silicone grease left behind in the o-ring grooves?

Thanks, ML

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    I hate to say this but beaches and sand and camera housings do not go well together.

I would not wash the interior of the housing and if I did it would be only with distilled water.

The O ring should be removed from the groove and the groove cleaned with a Q tip. The surfaces wiped with a micro fiber cloth and the port glass cleaned only after being rinsed of all sand with a micro fiber cloth, gently. The O ring can be cleaned by pulling it gently through a micro fiber cloth or your fingers and then lightly lubricated with your fingers.

If you have a large amount of fine sand in the control shafts and buttons, close the housing up, camera not installed, main O ring installed, immerse in clear water, running water helps, and pump, rotate, operate all controls over and over gently at first until the sand is removed. In some cases this is reason to require professional service.

DO NOT, I repeat, do not use soap on the housing. This can cause the seals to leak and is one reason why it is asked not to put masks with spit and anti-fog into the camera rinse bucket. The soap in the anti-fog will ruin the seals.

N
    www.uwphotographyguide.com

http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/

Swim down, swim around, swim back up

Honey buns and coffee, all that a man really needs

I am just going to have to say what I say, the reader can take it or leave it, as is.

Swim, bike, run (or elliptical )

Best if used under pressure

Safety is way overrated

MOF Supporter