Clean Your Camera Housing Inside and Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ml3456

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Need some suggestions how to clean a FIX camera housing. After diving and the beach, some very fine sand got into the gasket area of a G11 Fisheye housing. The silicon grease kind of helps the sand stick in the grooves. I want to wash the case inside and out with some fresh water and air, but is there a mild detergent than can be used to remove the silicone grease left behind in the o-ring grooves?

Thanks, ML

I hate to say this but beaches and sand and camera housings do not go well together.

I would not wash the interior of the housing and if I did it would be only with distilled water.

The O ring should be removed from the groove and the groove cleaned with a Q tip. The surfaces wiped with a micro fiber cloth and the port glass cleaned only after being rinsed of all sand with a micro fiber cloth, gently. The O ring can be cleaned by pulling it gently through a micro fiber cloth or your fingers and then lightly lubricated with your fingers.

If you have a large amount of fine sand in the control shafts and buttons, close the housing up, camera not installed, main O ring installed, immerse in clear water, running water helps, and pump, rotate, operate all controls over and over gently at first until the sand is removed. In some cases this is reason to require professional service.

DO NOT, I repeat, do not use soap on the housing. This can cause the seals to leak and is one reason why it is asked not to put masks with spit and anti-fog into the camera rinse bucket. The soap in the anti-fog will ruin the seals.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom