Shooting night video...question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I have Nite Rider's Twim 10W HID video lights and have a question using them for night video.

I have been on two test dives with them and have found that my lights just dont take up the whole screen. Should I remove the wide angle lens for night dives? This seems to make sense to me, but I didn't think about it till after viewing my footage.

Also, most of my footage showed the subject just in front of the lights dirction, which tells me I needed to readjust the lighting downward which I can do on the fly, no big deal.

Any night videographers out there that can shed some 'light' on this subject..hehe

Jason

Wide angle just doesn't work at night. Lights can't cover that much area, even the HID can't do a proper job of it. Plus with those super bright lights, every nocturnal creature and fish in the area will be hiding.

Keep your range within 3-4ft and a good video strobe can cover that easily.

Thanks Dee, I am going to test the no Wide Angle next week at another night quarry dive.

I'll report progress. :)

All in the name of Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom