• Aquatica

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Nauticam

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Go buy a used system from classifieds camera and all

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ramasule

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I do not know which housing to go with.

Nauticam
Pro: More people seem to have it, the 18-50 port has a macro adapter (the big pro for me)
Con: more expensive

Aquatica
Pro: Made in canada (I know :p), I like the look better, the 18-50 has curved dome for better optics??, cheaper
Con: No macro adapter as its curved port

Can someone please help me with this / give advice? The shop I was looking at buying this at recommended the Aquatica housing as well.

Thank you for your time,

Ram

Here are the Nauticam ports:
nauticam.com/product-list-b.asp?id=12

Here are the Aquatica ports:
aquatica.ca/en/products_dslr_an5.html

slowhands wrote:
"The dome is great for wide angle, but yep, hard to fit a wet macro lens on it.

Put a standard +4 close up lens on your zoom lens, inside the housing. This is a good idea anyway, because the dome typically changes the infinity focus to 16 inches or so, and you no longer need to focus to infinity -- but you do need close focus. Ikelite recommends adding a +4 diopter if the lens will accept one when using a domed port. Use an achromatic close up filter for best results.
"

I see the point here but then I loose the power of the zoom port, in the fact that I cant use the wide end anymore right. Damn you cruel optical physics, why cant someone just come out with that stupid liquid lens yet!

I just thought of another option. Since the 18-55 is not really superb for wa or macro maybe just get the fisheye for now, then get the macro port when the macro lense is released?

I would appriciate some thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Hi Ram,

If you have not done so you can read my review of the Nauticam housing here,

http://www.uwpmag.com/subscribe/download_issue.php?issue=57

I was able to see the Aquatica proto type at DEAM but I have not seen the system in the field so I would not want to comment on a system I have not used. I did however feel that the Nautican was one of the best housings I have used to date.

Taking advise based on the look of the system or from those who have not used the system could lead you in the wrong direction.

Phil Rudin

Yes Phil I read your review as well as scoured all the forums.
I have also called both manufacturers and spoke with the dealer I am planning on buying from who carries both housings.

I guess what I'm trying to get at being new to U/W photography is ..
is the 18-55 worth it? is it worth it being able to get macro and the 18-55? or should one just get the fisheye and the macro ports when the macro lens comes out?

Or, should I go with the ever famous coin toss :p

Anyways thank you Phil,

Ram

Hi Ram,

If you have not done so you can read my review of the Nauticam housing here,

http://www.uwpmag.com/subscribe/download_issue.php?issue=57

I was able to see the Aquatica proto type at DEAM but I have not seen the system in the field so I would not want to comment on a system I have not used. I did however feel that the Nautican was one of the best housings I have used to date.

Taking advise based on the look of the system or from those who have not used the system could lead you in the wrong direction.

Phil Rudin

Hi Phil, no offense buddy, but given the close ties you have with and are actually doing some work (at DEMA among others) for Ryan from Reef photo, who happens to be the distributor of Nauticam in the USA, I would say it safe to presume that you are bound to be partial in your opinion.

I have done the complete phase of underwater testing at our test facility, for our Aquatica AN-5 and feel it is the best housing for this camera I have seen. But then, you would be quite right in assuming I am biased :D.

Taking advice based on the opinion of someone closely involved in the distribution and resale of a system could also lead you in the wrong direction.

I recommend that you seek the advice of a dealer who carries both Aquatica and Nauticam, I see that you are in Canada, and there is one such dealer in Vancouver. You are likely to get a better unbiased recommendation from then than you would from either me or Phil.

Again Phil, no offense, I just feel it’s important that we disclose who we are and how interested we are, otherwise it might lead to the impression that the whole exercise of testing and reviewing by us (people like you and me who are involved in this industry), is done for purely altruistic reasons.

Cheers

Hi Jean,

I have worked part time in the Reef Photo booth at DEMA for the past two years to promo the Inon products and will be doing a review on the Inon housing for the Panasonic GF-1 soon.

If you spend much time in this forum and others you would see that I am a fan of the Olympus product line and have been for years. My first EVIL review was on the E-PL1 and the Olympus housing which I own.

I fully agree that your local dealer may be your best source of information and ReefPhoto happens to be my local dealer.

I stand by the idea that buying based on how the housing looks or based on information from those who have not used the system may lead to a poor choice.

I hope to have a chance to use your NEX-5 housing for as many dives as I have used the others so that I may comment based on a level playing field, until then I think your housing wins in the area of aesthetics hands down.

Phil Rudin

I'll weigh in here, yes I too am a Nauticam dealer, but I think the Aquatica lacks in several areas.

One is the closure. Aquatica is still using flip latches. I don't like them for a variety of reasons; alignment, weight, awkwardness on the housing. Nauticam uses an easy cam lock.

Weight and size. Nauticam is better in both areas.

Locking Ports, ergonomics, visual and audible flood alarm, gearing, quality of construction. Nauticam is simply better.

Jean, that dealer you refer to in Vancouver, Canada is NOT a NauticamUSA dealer. He is an Aquatica dealer and is very, well, active on EBay selling all sorts of items besides UW photo equipment. He may get Nauticam product grey market, but you will not get North American support. Nor probably the most knowledgeable dealer.

BTW; I recently tried out a demo macro port and Alpha 35mm lens with an adapter on the Nauticam Nex5. Verdict is that the AF just doesn't work, slow to the point of being worthless.

The flat port with macro diopter holder is the best idea right now, until a macro lens is released.

Jack

Hello Jack,

I suggest that you check your facts before posting them in public.

Mozaik underwater cameras is an authorized dealer of Nauticam as well as Bonica, Fantasea, Ikelite, Equinox, Amphibico , Aquatica, Sea and Sea, Light and Motion , Nocturnal lights, Keldan lights, Nimar and more..

We are in business for over 4 years and consider ourselves very knowledgeable and professional in the underwater industry. Feel free to check the information on our website on the different products , you might be surprised to find highly professional products descriptions and lots of info that cannot be found anywhere else on the web.

We are one of the few professional underwater stores in Ebay and in Amazon both in Canada and the US. Our customers can decide where and how they would like to purchase our products online.

I know you are a very experienced diver and in the business for a long time and I wish you best of luck and success. I hope we can do some cooperation in the future.

Regards,

Tal
Mozaik Underwater Cameras

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom