Canon G12 Vs. SeaLife DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PacoRocco6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Narrowed down my new camera choices to the Canon G12 and the SeaLife DC1400. I really am just looking at these two cameras. The main difference I've found is slightly better battery life and a larger sensor on the G12...although the SeaLife has more MegaPixels (although that's not always indicative of better photos). Any recs?

Youre right, higher mpx is not always indicative of better photos. It is infact indicative of potential problems if the sensor size dont increase as well.
A smaller sensor with higher mpx count is prone to more noise.

As for the two cameras in question, I know that the G12 is pretty much as good as it gets before you go to the dslrs, the DC1400 I dont know well enough to have an opinion of other than that its got pretty smart function navigation..

opinion.png

RAW is a must for non-strobe shots. Without it you are left with having to calibrate your white balance in the "custom" white balance setting then switching back to "auto" or "sunny" for strobe shots. I did that for several years until I got my G10 and G12. If you use "auto" white balance on non-strobe shots you get blue photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom