Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I think these people are fraudulant.

In January I renewed a policy I've been carrying for three years with them ... just prior to leaving for a trip to the Maldives. During that trip, I flooded my camera. Upon returning home, I processed a claim for that flood. I did everything they asked me to do ... then the waiting began. After two months with no response, I emailed Dixie, asking to cancel my policy, since it was obvious they weren't going to honor the claim. I got a reply in late April, stating that the check for my claim had been cut, and would be mailed out the following week ... but that if I wanted to cancel my policy they would do so.

That was more than a month ago. I've neither received the check for my claim, nor a rebate for the remaining nine months on a policy I had paid for and cancelled.

My recommendation for those of you who are using DEPP for flood insurance ... or for anyone considering to do so ... is to look elsewhere. These people don't operate in good faith.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, I have had 3 flooded camera claims with them over the last 6 years including last may. They are slow but they have always come through.

Compare that to my homeowner's insurance ... Traveler's. Two weeks ago someone broke into my car and stole several thousand dollars worth of equipment. I contacted Traveler's on Wednesday ... by the following Monday I had a check for the claim in my possession.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Reactions: Jax
Bob,
I'm with you. I bought a new housing and sent them an email requesting info on adding it to my policy. Two months later it was time to renew, as I had not received any correspondence I sent them a cancellation notice. Got a response with in 10 minutes. I am now with the DAN associated company. You are not the first to complain and deservedly so. We spend good money on this coverage.

Reactions: Jax
Well, according to Dixie, they cancelled my policy as I asked. But they never refunded my premium ... so now I have neither coverage nor money.

This was my last correspondence from them ... dated May 2 ... five weeks ago ...

Your claim was sent to underwriting 4/17/12. The funds were received 4/30/12 for distribution. Your check will be issued 5/4/12. I will send your e-mail to the appropriate person for cancellation.

DEPP Customer Service

Obviously, the check was not issued when Dixie said it would be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, according to Dixie, they cancelled my policy as I asked. But they never refunded my premium ... so now I have neither coverage nor money.
This might be why:

The other thing that I don't like about DEPP is that you cannot cancel your policy and get a refund of the remainder of your policy premium. According to DEPP's terms and conditions, once the premium is paid, it is earned at the time of payment and non-refundable.

Quoted from this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/372138-so-much-depp-insurance.html

Might want to have a look at this one as well: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/345517-help-depp-claim.html

So in other words, I paid a year's premium for three months worth of coverage on a claim they won't pay.

Sounds like a sweet deal for the insurance company ... these folks deserve to go out of business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm still waiting for a check on a claim I submitted a year ago when my two dive computers and other gear was stolen.

I just checked my e-mails from DEPP/AWRY and found that they said they were cutting a check back in March (which I don't ever remember seeing) and extending my insurance a year because of their error in paying the claim timely. I sent them an e-mail asking where the check was. Even the USPS usually isn't THAT slow in delivering mail, even to the island.

Well, I have filed 2 claims in the past and both were paid very quickly. I just filed another one last week for a flooded canister light. Sent them the repair estimte from Dive Rite. No response from Dixie. I've sent 2 followup emails asking how long before I hear back--no response. I just sent another email telling her that I have been reading about their poor customer service and lack of claim payment. Asked her to respond and basically threatened to contact my lawyer if the same thing that happened to Dr Bill happens to me ( I didn't name him). The difference is that I am giving them another week, not 6mos - 1yr. I will probably go through the Better Business Bureau first. I've had very good success in the past with them.

Hmmm...How many people do you need for a class action lawsuit anyway? I'm concerned because my premium, which I just renewed in April, runs about $550/yr. That's a significant amount of money to lose. I can't use DAN since I am a resident of Alaska and they don't cover us here.

It is a DAN advertised/associated company and not DAN. I'd drop them and email and ask if they cover Alaska. They were cheaper too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom