Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos

Diver's Equipment Protection Program (DEPP) - Buyer Beware

I think these people are fraudulant.

In January I renewed a policy I've been carrying for three years with them ... just prior to leaving for a trip to the Maldives. During that trip, I flooded my camera. Upon returning home, I processed a claim for that flood. I did everything they asked me to do ... then the waiting began. After two months with no response, I emailed Dixie, asking to cancel my policy, since it was obvious they weren't going to honor the claim. I got a reply in late April, stating that the check for my claim had been cut, and would be mailed out the following week ... but that if I wanted to cancel my policy they would do so.

That was more than a month ago. I've neither received the check for my claim, nor a rebate for the remaining nine months on a policy I had paid for and cancelled.

My recommendation for those of you who are using DEPP for flood insurance ... or for anyone considering to do so ... is to look elsewhere. These people don't operate in good faith.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    It was just below freezing and snow was falling steadily. As we stepped toward that portal separating a cold and dreary world from the tranquility and wonder of another dimension teeming with life and color a passer-by shook his head and muttered "crazy". Poor fool. If he only knew. (Airsix)

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Actually, I have had 3 flooded camera claims with them over the last 6 years including last may. They are slow but they have always come through.

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Compare that to my homeowner's insurance ... Traveler's. Two weeks ago someone broke into my car and stole several thousand dollars worth of equipment. I contacted Traveler's on Wednesday ... by the following Monday I had a check for the claim in my possession.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    Jax likes this.
    It was just below freezing and snow was falling steadily. As we stepped toward that portal separating a cold and dreary world from the tranquility and wonder of another dimension teeming with life and color a passer-by shook his head and muttered "crazy". Poor fool. If he only knew. (Airsix)

Registered

Going to Truk March 2012

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Bob,
    I'm with you. I bought a new housing and sent them an email requesting info on adding it to my policy. Two months later it was time to renew, as I had not received any correspondence I sent them a cancellation notice. Got a response with in 10 minutes. I am now with the DAN associated company. You are not the first to complain and deservedly so. We spend good money on this coverage.
    Jax likes this.

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Well, according to Dixie, they cancelled my policy as I asked. But they never refunded my premium ... so now I have neither coverage nor money.

This was my last correspondence from them ... dated May 2 ... five weeks ago ...

Your claim was sent to underwriting 4/17/12. The funds were received 4/30/12 for distribution. Your check will be issued 5/4/12. I will send your e-mail to the appropriate person for cancellation.

DEPP Customer Service

Obviously, the check was not issued when Dixie said it would be ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Advisor

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver View Post
    Well, according to Dixie, they cancelled my policy as I asked. But they never refunded my premium ... so now I have neither coverage nor money.
    This might be why:

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsy View Post
    The other thing that I don't like about DEPP is that you cannot cancel your policy and get a refund of the remainder of your policy premium. According to DEPP's terms and conditions, once the premium is paid, it is earned at the time of payment and non-refundable.
    Quoted from this thread: So Much for DEPP Insurance

Might want to have a look at this one as well: Help with a DEPP Claim
    The polar opposite of a Fountain of Knowledge is a Font of Nonsense.

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    So in other words, I paid a year's premium for three months worth of coverage on a claim they won't pay.

Sounds like a sweet deal for the insurance company ... these folks deserve to go out of business.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I'm still waiting for a check on a claim I submitted a year ago when my two dive computers and other gear was stolen.

I just checked my e-mails from DEPP/AWRY and found that they said they were cutting a check back in March (which I don't ever remember seeing) and extending my insurance a year because of their error in paying the claim timely. I sent them an e-mail asking where the check was. Even the USPS usually isn't THAT slow in delivering mail, even to the island.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

ilee1990
    Has not set a "status"

Well, I have filed 2 claims in the past and both were paid very quickly. I just filed another one last week for a flooded canister light. Sent them the repair estimte from Dive Rite. No response from Dixie. I've sent 2 followup emails asking how long before I hear back--no response. I just sent another email telling her that I have been reading about their poor customer service and lack of claim payment. Asked her to respond and basically threatened to contact my lawyer if the same thing that happened to Dr Bill happens to me ( I didn't name him). The difference is that I am giving them another week, not 6mos - 1yr. I will probably go through the Better Business Bureau first. I've had very good success in the past with them.

Hmmm...How many people do you need for a class action lawsuit anyway? I'm concerned because my premium, which I just renewed in April, runs about $550/yr. That's a significant amount of money to lose. I can't use DAN since I am a resident of Alaska and they don't cover us here.

Registered

Going to Truk March 2012

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    It is a DAN advertised/associated company and not DAN. I'd drop them and email and ask if they cover Alaska. They were cheaper too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast