Oceanic white tip shark expedition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the coolest things I ever did was to snorkel with an Oceanic White Tip while on a surface interval on Kona .I have a video. That thing was awesome and fierce. It was a little scary though, every time we ( the Captain and I) wanted to turn back to the boat, he would "stalk" us. If we looked at him, he'd start swimming off towards the deep again.

They are incredibly curious, and beautiful animals. Definitely one of my favourite sharks to dive with.

Last edited:
Awesome trip. I think I'm fairly tolerant of being around modestly dangerous sea creatures (e.g.: barracuda, big morays, stingrays), but being in the water with an Oceanic White-tip would freak me out. I'm thinking:

1.) Potentially very dangerous.

2.) Large wandering pelagic predator who like hasn't eaten recently, is hungry, on the hunt & I'm guessing a dietary generalist/opportunist.

3.) Even if it's not convinced I'm food, a 'test bite' to find out could go badly indeed.

Richard.

yes, great photos and write up. sounds like an exhilarating experience.

Awesome trip. I think I'm fairly tolerant of being around modestly dangerous sea creatures (e.g.: barracuda, big morays, stingrays), but being in the water with an Oceanic White-tip would freak me out. I'm thinking:

1.) Potentially very dangerous.

2.) Large wandering pelagic predator who like hasn't eaten recently, is hungry, on the hunt & I'm guessing a dietary generalist/opportunist.

3.) Even if it's not convinced I'm food, a 'test bite' to find out could go badly indeed.

Richard.

These sharks are an underwater photographers dream. To make great photos underwater you need your subjects to be close and these sharks love to be close. They are one of the most interactive sharks I have ever dove with. They definitely need to be respected and there are rules to be followed to allow for safe interactions, but contrary to popular belief, sharks don't eat people!!:wink: The truth is on this entire expedition I did not feel threatened once. They are magnificent and incredibly curious animals and it was a real privilege to dive with them.

---------- Post added ----------

Great photos. What kind if camera set up
do you use?

Thanks a lot. I shot with a nikon d7000 in aquatica housing, tokina 10-17, ikelite ds161s

---------- Post added ----------

yes, great photos and write up. sounds like an exhilarating experience.

Thank you very much. It most definitely was!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom