Ikelite housing fogged...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amir Stern

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My inside housing got some dust and i tryed to clean it with some purified water, today i tried to dive with it and
the housing fogged.. it's NOT flooded and no visible water inside... just fogged...
What can i do so my housing will not fogged again? the housing is 100% sealed..
Thank you

Throw a couple silica packets (like you get when you buy electronics) and seal it up. They will take most of the moisture out. Keep one and put it in every time you dive as long as it is secure and won't affect operation of the camera while diving.

I also assemble my rig near an air conditioner to ensure that the air that get's sealed in it is as dry as possible. It has not been entirely foolproof for me (after all I am a sufficiently talented fool) but it has worked most of the time.

Last edited:
Small point and shoot cameras are more susceptible to fogging issues than larger SLR cameras. This is because they generate a decent amount of heat themselves, and are in a small confined space, in relatively cool water.

Like steve said, you may need a "moisture muncher" or desiccant (silica gel) pack inside.

If you recently cleaned the inside of your housing with water... It's not terrible to leave it open for a day or so in air conditioning to fully dry first. If AC isn't available, try using a hair dryer (not on hot) for a little while. It's possible that some water got stuck in the buttons (on the inside part) and that could have done it... so make sure you "exercise" the buttons too to get any droplets of water out.

I have had the trouble with point and shoots in "plastic" housings. I have had good luck with letting the housing and camera get cool in an air conditioned room. I assemble the housing and camera and take test shots to be sure everything works. Then I don't open the housing again.

It is simple physics. As long as the inside of the housing is cooler than the sea water, you won't get fogging. Also, cool air has less moisture in it so even if the interior heats up some, it is less likely to fog.

The method works pretty well if your AC room temperature is a few degrees colder than the water temperature.

Just back from 2nd dive ... now it's fine :)
i filled the housing with rice for 2hr, and after i cleaned it again i test it and it's fine...
hope tomorrow it will be good coz the outside temp. is 107F and in the water its 71F ... :)

Back
Top Bottom