Help with color correction (GoPro, Apple Aperture)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DukeAMO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

We just got back from our dive vacation in the Caribbean. We borrowed a friend's GoPro camera and dive housing and took a lot of still photos. We got some good pictures, but all of them look so blue. We have the latest version of Apple Aperture software. Can someone tell us where to find the settings in Aperture to color correct the images and enhance some of the non-blue colors? I want to see the yellow on the angelfish and the red on the squirrel fish! I think the color information should be there, because we could see the colors while diving.

Some of our dives were to 85 feet, and those photos might be hopeless, but some of them were in the 25-50 foot range. We also tried to light the fish with a handheld LED light when we could.

Thanks for any pointers!

You need a red filter. I just got back from Coz., I had the dive housing and put a red filter in it the day before I left. My buddy had the same set up without the filter. My videos were correct, his not so much... Lots of blue. I am not a photographer but from what I understand the color red is the first to disappear from the color spectrum as you go deeper. I got my filter off eBay but it was the kind that goes inside the dive housing. It will only be a matter of time before a snap on filter is available. I can't remember the name of mine but it was easy to find, just do a search for "go pro red lens filter" and you should find plenty.

This should help get you started. Though there is not much color information in a JPEG. You may be able to salvage some utility.

Apple - Aperture - Aperture in depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom