Scary Fangs...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Water Bear

Reaction score
I was in Coz (San Miguel) and I was attempting to get a shot of a VERY large greem moray...Nikonos V 20mm but I got a poor shot because I dared not get TOO close. Does anyone know just how aggressive these creatures really are?

The Green Moray is not a very aggressive eel. The Spotted Moray is a different matter, they can be very aggressive, maybe because they are so small. You can get fairly close to the Green Moray, so get a good picture.

Just don't do dumb things like poking one in the face, they don't like that one bit. Most people that are bitten are either feeding the fish (yes, morays are fish) or poking them. Neither is a very bright thing to do. Just my opinion.

I agree with Dennis. Green Morays are generally docile unless teased and/or provoked. The Spotted Morays are unpredictable and generally have a 'snippy' attitude.

We still can't figure it out, wet suit color,shadow, whatever, but I had 4-6 really HUGE (6-8') greens totally coil up around me last May in Roatan ! I almost think they were looking to evade the "Frame Pinners" w/their Niks and looking for a safe place to hide !

40010_3629_7.jpg

FWIW, they feel like wet silk, not at all scaly and ,as like all the seahorses, I felt really bad seing them "attacked" by a dozen "photogs". I just waited for that shot 'till he stuck his head up between my legs !

Dave...are you talking about the big one on the Prince Albert and the smaller one at the first big coral head on Safety Stop Flats? They're both like big puppies. And you're right, they feel like smooooooth wet silk.

Dee:
Dave...are you talking about the big one on the Prince Albert and the smaller one at the first big coral head on Safety Stop Flats? They're both like big puppies. And you're right, they feel like smooooooth wet silk.

No , they were at the "Valley of the Kings"/Managheria/etc. complex E of CCV on the boat dives. I never saw an eel in 2 weeks on the "Wreck" go figure !

" No , they were at the "Valley of the Kings"/Managheria/etc. complex E of CCV on the boat dives. I never saw an eel in 2 weeks on the "Wreck" go figure !"

Sorry, west !

I'll let ya know where they are in April!

Water Bear:
I was in Coz (San Miguel) and I was attempting to get a shot of a VERY large greem moray...Nikonos V 20mm but I got a poor shot because I dared not get TOO close. Does anyone know just how aggressive these creatures really are?

I've always been under the impression that green morays aren't particularly
aggressive, but that they have poor daytime vision and if you stick your
finger towards them, they will instinctively try to "taste" it.

Seth

Back
Top Bottom