Underwater Camera Case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VikramGopinath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I just recently bought a Canon 650D DSLR camera and want to buy an underwater case for it so i can take it diving with me. I looked online and all the cases I saw cost more than the camera itself. Are there any cheaper underwater cases ? Or a cheap underwater camera ? Please help. Thanks

If you are concerned about the housing price, you need to realize that you have not even got started yet. Add a couple of strobes, some ports, some more lens, a focus light, a video light, a tray, and an arm set to your costs. Take your camera cost and multiply by 10. Then be happy if you get in the water for less.

That said, there are way cheaper underwater setups, but not of the caliber of your camera.

If you are just starting out with under water photography, I suggest you shop for a very simple used setup. Maybe a P&S with just a housing.

Try it out and use it to learn what you really want and will need. Do you like macro, or are you just a wide angle freak? The type of pictures you want to take will dictate some of your equipment.

Consider it a disposable learning cost. There is a lot to learn about the equipment and what things are compatible. I too often see posters asking how to make their new strobe work with their camera and the answer is either a $200 cable or a $600 converter of some sort.

As an example, I was able to obtain a used 10mp cannon powershot and case from a little old lady who had used it for snorkeling for only $200. It is small, compact, fits in my BC pocket and is now used to capture "happy snaps" by my dive buddy. It is capable of taking some excellent shots, but only under a set of fairly limited conditions. It is a great starter setup and the cost is extremely small in comparison to a full blown dSLR rig.

Yeah underwater photography isn't cheap. You're doing good if you get a full dslr rig set up for less than $6000-$8000

---------- Post added March 22nd, 2013 at 08:53 PM ----------

Ikelite probably has the cheapest housings for dslrs...you can also check on the classifieds section here on scubaboard to see if anyone is selling

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom