Your Suggestions on Purchasing a Camera Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rickstr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,
I've been diving off and on for over 30 years, within the last 5 I have made a point of taking a trip specifically to dive destinations. In the last 5 years I've been using a point and shoot Canon with an underwater housing. I've managed to take some pretty good pictures but I now need to purchase some real gear. A 2MB pixel camera with a flash that is only effective if you 2 feet from your subject doesn't cut it. I am just beginning to do my research and would love to hear from people who have already purchased gear and hear suggestions on what features are must have and what options to avoid.
I am looking specifically for an underwater camera and flash, it does not have to be used above water. My budget is starting out at around 1K.

I appreciate any advice on what to buy and what not to buy.

Thank You.
Rick

Hello,
I've been diving off and on for over 30 years, within the last 5 I have made a point of taking a trip specifically to dive destinations. In the last 5 years I've been using a point and shoot Canon with an underwater housing. I've managed to take some pretty good pictures but I now need to purchase some real gear. A 2MB pixel camera with a flash that is only effective if you 2 feet from your subject doesn't cut it. I am just beginning to do my research and would love to hear from people who have already purchased gear and hear suggestions on what features are must have and what options to avoid.
I am looking specifically for an underwater camera and flash, it does not have to be used above water. My budget is starting out at around 1K.

I appreciate any advice on what to buy and what not to buy.

Thank You.
Rick

To be perfectly honest with you I'm not sure your budget will get you much improvement. Looking on the used market you might find something, wetpixel is a good place to look but a housing for a decent camera (micro 4/3rds or dslr) is likely to be $1k-3k.
This would be a great deal in http://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/olympus-pt-ep03 your price range and you could probably add a strobe and arms and not be too far over your budget. The risk of course is that you outgrow this system as well and in a year or two want to jump up to a dslr system anyways.

There is a pretty nice deal on an Olympus Pen with housing, lens, and zoom gear (as I recall) for about $500. I would add a S&S YS-01 strobe and UCLS tray, handle and a couple of arms and clamps. I think this would come in pretty close to your budget.

I am very pleased with my Oly E-PL1 and am learning on every dive. It can be as simple as a P&S or use it in manual mode. I like the size and weight not only for diving but for packing as my diving involves airplanes.

There is a pretty nice deal on an Olympus Pen with housing, lens, and zoom gear (as I recall) for about $500. I would add a S&S YS-01 strobe and UCLS tray, handle and a couple of arms and clamps. I think this would come in pretty close to your budget.

I am very pleased with my Oly E-PL1 and am learning on every dive. It can be as simple as a P&S or use it in manual mode. I like the size and weight not only for diving but for packing as my diving involves airplanes.

The Olympus deal is the one I included in my link, it's the only thing I can think of that would come close to that budget. Just hear in mind the depth rating is only 150ft (not 100% certain but it's definitely around the max rec limit.

The Olympus deal is the one I included in my link, it's the only thing I can think of that would come close to that budget. Just hear in mind the depth rating is only 150ft (not 100% certain but it's definitely around the max rec limit.

There was another deal that Jack McCormick (spelling?) posted a few days ago for a E-PM1 as I recall, for right around $500. I think any of the Pen cameras would be a step up from a P&S. Yes, I believe this is rated to about 130 ft. (I must have been writing my post when you posted your reply!)

http://www.opticaloceansales.com/housings/mirrorless/olympus-housings/olympus-e-pm1-camera-pt-ep06-housing-zoom-gear-combo.html

Thanks for the replies, I know 1k is not a lot to throw at what I'm looking for, but as always if I'm looking for something around that price range I'll usually end up in the $1,200-$1,300 range. The SeaLife DC1400 package caught my eye but all the review had one constant complaint, slow shutter speed, that is a deal breaker for me because I've missed a lot of shots with my Canon because it wasn't quick enough. That very well could because my lack of skill, I only manage 2 trips a year so I don't have as much bottom time as I would like. I'll be researching the suggestion y'all have provided.

Go for the EPM-1 package and upgrade to the YS-D1 strobe for $1500 total, and don't look back. That should cover your needs for a long time. If you decide later to upgrade the camera and housing, you can stay with the same strobe and focus light set-up and probably not lose a dime.

Thanks for the advice Larry, I did just that. I have the setup you suggested and have been playing with it in my pool for a few days now learning the camera. I've never ventured far from my Canon's Auto setting so I have a lot to learn. Headed to Belize October 3rd hoping to capture some impressive pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom