Saturday's (24/1) Dive - Aliwal Shoal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShoalDiverSA

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Here is a selection from my dive on Aliwal Shoal on Saturday. We did a dive to 27m in an area known as Bay of Caves. Beautiful topography! We found a cave with stalactites hanging from the roof encrusted with yellow coral. It was awesome.

The Firefishes were in full display and a Toby treated me to a facial view. Took some experimental shots of the other divers' bubbles on the safety stop - none were quite what I wanted.

Initially I thought I would be taking more photos as I got used to the camera and underwater photography. The funny thing is, I am taking less. I take a look at a possible shot and realise that it won't work with the camera, light conditions, backscatter, distance, etc and opt not to take the shot. Some of them I try regardless (unusual sightings) but my eye seems to be right, as these shots are usually Recycle Bin material. I think what I will do now is start using Exposure bracketing, because the exposure of the shots is not always spot on. I might also get a more clear shot out of the three in action shots. The last dive I took 45 photos - previous dives were anywhere up to 80, so there is lots of space for the bracket shots (256Mb).

Cheers,

Andrew

Nice pics Andrew. Thanks for posting them. Interesting you call them Firefish in your area. I know them as Lion Fish.

Nice Photos. That Toby is a cutie. I used to have one when I had the salt tank. He had a very cool personality.

Gilligan:
Interesting you call them Firefish in your area. I know them as Lion Fish.

We use the names interchangeably.

The Devil Firefish is also known as the Lionfish.

The Broadbarred Firefish is also known as the Spotfin Lionfish.

The Radial Firefish is also quite common here - not sure of the Lionfish equivalent name.

Helps to maximise confusion!

Thanks for all the comments, guys. Much appreciated.

By the way, "Firefish 2" was a teenager - about 10cm long.

Kobus, that juvenile must have been an awesome spot. The comparative size of the urchin shows how small it was.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew

I estimate it was about 2cm in length.
My daughter (6) was learning to snorkel in the tidal pool at Southport
when I decided to have a look at what there was to see in the pool.
In Dennis King's book he states that the juveniles are found in tidal pools from
tim to time.

Kobus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom