Leak Sentinel Leak Detector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divengolf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Recently there has been a few posts on housing leak detectors, so I'm posting my experience with this unit. I did considerable research on the available units that are compatible with my Aquatica housing. Last week I purchased a Leak Sentinel V3 from Vivid Housing. Delivery was prompt. It comes with a small sensor unit and an adapter specific to a housing. I installed it into the microphone port of my Aquatica D7000 housing without problem. This allowed me to keep both of my strobe ports just in case one fails. Removing the microphone was a bit of a trick as my fingers are not the smallest in the world, but eventually everything fit fine. The unit came with a spare battery in addition to the installed battery; a nice gesture. I ordered an additional cap as small parts tend to get lost.

I was concerned about how far the unit would extend from the housing. Turns out that is not a problem. The unit does not extend as far as the strobe ports, so it's fine

I bench tested the unit with the flat port and it performed as expected. It went to a blinking green light indicating proper vacuum after about nine cycles of the vacuum pump. I then did three more cycles of the pump and left it overnight. It held vacuum all night as evidenced by the blinking green light in the morning.

I'm an engineer and consider the unit is well designed and engineered. The company has been very responsible to my questions. At about €200, this is a great insurance on your photo investment. I take great care preparing my rig for each dive, but it's comforting to have backup assurance that everything is OK.

So far so good. I'll be diving the rig in a couple months and will post further comments then.

Harry

The only issue with the leak sentinel if that if you experience a temperature gradient inside the housing the air that is contained in it being a gas will expand or compress and that may generate a false reading.
This is more of an issue with large housing with a large internal air capacity. A smaller housing with a flat port or a compact housing should not have significant issues with this if the housing is kept at all time in a similar temperature of the water it is going to go into and protected from direct sunlight

---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

Actually I am talking crap it does not depend on the size of the housing. The issue with temperature is always there

Last edited:
---------- Post added February 27th, 2014 at 11:10 AM ----------

Actually I am talking crap it does not depend on the size of the housing. The issue with temperature is always there
You don't say! It will also decrease the risk to leaks at the surface by preloading and seating the o-ring, as well as decreasing condensation by decreasing the relative humidity in the housing.

Last edited:
Yes he is trying but failing. The discussion is already closed elsewhere.
Condensation in an aluminum housing occurs on the metal not on the ports so there is no point worrying about that as a starter and for what concerns the preloading and seating of the oring well that is what you have to do to test for leaks isn't it?
The leak sentinel is currently being upgraded to include temperature condensation that will reduce the chance of false alarms when the camera inside warms up. I am in touch with the manufacturer and hope to have the new version to test soon.

At about €200, this is a great insurance on your photo investment.

€200?! Granted I'm not a professional photographer, but I've found that a simple bubble-check tells me all I need to know before starting a photo dive. IMHO

€200?! Granted I'm not a professional photographer, but I've found that a simple bubble-check tells me all I need to know before starting a photo dive. IMHO

Except now you don't know what's wrong and you will need to leave the camera on the boat and look at it later? This may or not be a problem for you. But most people would not open a housing last minute before jumping in the water to see where a little hair or debris was on the oring?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom