2014 Underwater camera advice please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo'ath Alma'aitah

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
what is the Newest models of cameras can be suitable for this conditions , Considering my little experience about photography, I am looking for personal experience advice :

Depth of use less then 40 Meter
clear water, Temperature 23°C, and Average water visibility 15 meter
photos and videos types for wrecks, Divers, Natural
good prices range for housing and accessories

Last edited:
Price range from $300 or $400 to $10,000 to $15,000 and how big a unit are you willing to take with you.
GoPro to DSLR in a big housing with a twin handles mount and multiple lights/strobes for video and stills and battery packs to run the lights.

If you are really new to this also consider buying a used rig that is several years old. You may learn that you do not like scuba photo. Or you may learn that all you want to do is macro and are not interested in wide angle. Or that p&s happy snaps are all you want.
Different types of photos require different equipment and hqve different costs.

Thanks for replies, I would like to invest up to 2000 Euro, I consider my knowledge a basic knowledge in photography world , I used before Sea & Sea DX-GE5 12.2 MP Digital Camera - Flash And Housing Set, but I want to move for something more professional. I love making photos and videos, and I am not big fan for used camera. I am looking for brand new and worth the investment.

Having prior experience is great. You should have some idea of what type of photos you wish to take. if you add that info then you are more likely to get more relevant advice. the word "professional" does not really provide much guidance (other than it implies $$$ spent on fancy equipment you do not know how to use).

i have seen way too many people with more money than brains. they have high end "professional" camera rigs and have no idea how to run them - so they set them to auto and complain about how the camera is crap.

there are 2 things to consider:
- having the proper "professional" rig
- knowing how to use it properly

If you are primarily interested in macro, then a professional $15,000 wide angle setup will give you crap macro results since it is not setup to take macro shots. Different shots require different equipment.

The DX-GE5 is an okay entry level P&S fully capable of happy snaps. not really good at macro or wide angle. What did you like or not like about it? What areas did you find it "not capable"?

You also need to consider the physical implications: are you happy to lug a 10kg rig around? or do you want something that will fit in your pocket?

thanks for answer, off course I have to take into account the knowledge before the price. I used Nikon D200 but not underwater, I could say I am a little bit confident with it. When I used to search for the case and the kits to start moving for Nikon D200 underwater, I found the kit quite expensive, mainly used and there's no more support so I decide to sale it and get new camera kits for starting.

To choose underwater camera its always hard mission to start as you said I need to know what to use it for.
To be honest, I'd like to develop my skills in photography, my focusing area will not be only include micro photos as well I am looking to make a promotional photos for divers, nature, wrecks and also I'm planning to make underwater videos. I know the videos its a completely different way to go through but if there's something for multipurpose use & can be fit with different kits accessories I will move forward.

DX-GE5 was quite fine to make new divers happy. I use it to make photos for new divers and nature. I was fine with that. But it dosnt have a good sharpness, as well have limitation for print at 11x14 or so. but in general a very easy to use and I do recommended it.

I believe the knowledge is the key, but with many different reviews and ideas. I am confused about starting for this level.

For physical implications I will keep my DX-GE5 for guiding or teaching status. and for photography I will not mind about the wight if it can get my photography passion.

please if you want to
recommended me a camera please advice about the best starting accessories for the mention purpose, include accessories like the lights, fisheye lens, micro and wide lens and not to cost me more then 2000 euro, I am not quite confident if its possible for this price and what the recommended kits for moving for this level

I am an underwater photographer, shoot with a Nikon D300s in a Subal housing. I also frequently use a GoPro, and have a housing for my iPhone. So lots of experience with a variety of gear.

My recommendation would be to look at the "mirrorless" 4/3 DSLR's on the market. They are smaller, lighter, and less expensive than true DSLR's, and take very nice photos and video. The downside to these models are: 1) The auto focus is not quite as good as a DSLR, but is far superior to point and shoots; and 2) Lens selections are not yet as numerous as they are for DSLR's, but there are good wide angle and macro options available.

One of my friends in our area (Seattle) just came out with an aluminum housing for GoPro's that has a dome port that corrects optics and has a much larger field of vision. I have not tried it yet, but this might well be another option.

Hope this helps,

Dan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2000 Euro is not little money.
I would look at a Canon S120 in a Nauticam housing with an Inon D2000 and if budget still allows a fix UWl28 or idas UWL04 for wrecks

Back
Top Bottom