What camera do I buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ari_ats

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I'm a recently certified diver. And I got the specialty for Underwater Photography.

I had taken pictures with a SeaLife and I shoot macro, the visibility wasnt the best. But I got some nice pics. I felt that I didnt have that much liberty to play with the focus and the deep of field.

I want to buy a camera, I've been told to buy a SeaLife dc1400 or an Intova IC16 but I feel it would be the same limited experience.

I've been thinking, and saving, to get a Reflex, something like a Nikon D5100, but i've been told that this camera has no focusing motor. Would it be a waste if I buy this camera? Does not work right?

Apart from the price, and the Housing, and lens and strobes (lol) that it would require, is it a bad invest?

Another recommendation I have had, is to buy a Canon Powershoot S110 or a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 and invest on the housing. But I have seen that this cameras are compact.

I really want a reflex, what camera is the best? Not that expensive, like a D700/D7100 but a good reflex that I would be able to use outside of the sea, and inside without spending all my college money lol.

I really appreciate all the advices.
Sorry if my grammar isn't the best, english isn't my first language. :)

New compacts are awfully good. As a newly certified diver, the additional task loading of carrying a camera is substantial. You'll be challenged to keep track of your buoyancy, your buddy and your subject at the same time. A camera and housing for a DSLR is a starter kit. Next you'll be investing in ports, lenses, diopters, strobes, arms... DSLR's will work best with manual adjustment, which takes a great deal of experience and practice and attention underwater. I think you'll probably take better pictures for the first year or two with a good compact. Either of those you mentioned is a good choice. I've seen wonderful pictures from beginning photographers with both.
If you go the DSLR route, the camera isn't the big expense so when you're looking at price, price the whole package. You'll need a housing, strobe, arms, wide angle port and lens, macro port and lens, port extensions. Cheapest route is an Ikelite housing with their strobe and a medium range DSLR. If you go with the D5100, you will need AFS lenses, which or more expensive. The D7100 is probably the better route. Alternative would be to get an Olympus or Panasonic mirrorless package, which will be smaller and lighter but slightly slower and no less complex.

In a year or so, get you a P&S.......

I would agree with some of the above; A DSLR is going to require some strobes and so forth. It's not a lot for an experienced diver/photographer to deal with, but is too much for a new diver. You need to get your bouyancy control, air consumption and other diving related skills and experience down to the point of them being a reflex action.

However, as you have passed your specialty class, you obviously are comfortable uw. I would start with something like the cameras that wee suggested to you. The RX100II is a great camera with fairly fast response and a large sensor that can rival a DSLR (reflex camers). Start wit it, but buy larger strobes with the idea of upgrading to a better system in a year. You'll have lots of fun with it and learn more about uw photography and figure out what you like and don't like.

In the future, a m4/3rds system for Olympus or Panasonic would give you a smaller system, but still with interchangeable lenses and great performance.

But take care of yourself, the reefs and your dive buddies first by gaining experience and not getting too task-loaded with photo equipment too quickly.

I would agree with some of the above; A DSLR is going to require some strobes and so forth. It's not a lot for an experienced diver/photographer to deal with, but is too much for a new diver. You need to get your bouyancy control, air consumption and other diving related skills and experience down to the point of them being a reflex action.

However, as you have passed your specialty class, you obviously are comfortable uw. I would start with something like the cameras that wee suggested to you. The RX100II is a great camera with fairly fast response and a large sensor that can rival a DSLR (reflex camers). Start wit it, but buy larger strobes with the idea of upgrading to a better system in a year. You'll have lots of fun with it and learn more about uw photography and figure out what you like and don't like.

In the future, a m4/3rds system for Olympus or Panasonic would give you a smaller system, but still with interchangeable lenses and great performance.

But take care of yourself, the reefs and your dive buddies first by gaining experience and not getting too task-loaded with photo equipment too quickly.

Very well put.

Very well put.

I like to save bandwidth----see response #3.......lol

I bought a Canon S110 plus a housing and just love it so much. The pictures , both topside and underwater are fabulous....so easy to put them on the iPad and from there onto dropbox. Once you get the white balance customised correctly the results are truly amazing. The camera itself is small and light , as is the housing ....minimal extra space is required in your luggage.On th trip I also took wildlife pictures in the Philippines as well as masses of temple and village life scenes in Cambodia....all were far better that I ever imagined they would be.

I bought a Canon S110 plus a housing and just love it so much. The pictures , both topside and underwater are fabulous....so easy to put them on the iPad and from there onto dropbox. Once you get the white balance customised correctly the results are truly amazing. The camera itself is small and light , as is the housing ....minimal extra space is required in your luggage.On th trip I also took wildlife pictures in the Philippines as well as masses of temple and village life scenes in Cambodia....all were far better that I ever imagined they would be.

Agree on the smaller cameras...Here's my S95 rig---WA & macro capability..
20110128003.jpg

Everything you see I carry in this Sumdex camera backpack, even throw in a few clothes in the laptop compartment, lol....PERFECT for overseas travel--ie weight & size....AND-- only ME carries/touches it while in route..:)
41ITzLc1%2B3L.jpg
Get decent pics, too
13699063395_3050b3598b.jpg
[/URL]Dick Howe....RIP by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

Don't know your busdget, but depends on what youre looking for.Here is a comparison you may be intertsted, the Nikon d3200 is a good camera

Back
Top Bottom