Advice on underwaterhousing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

masai

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello from Belgium ;-)

I'd like to have some advice on buying an underwaterhousing for my Nikon D90.
I would shoot macro with my nikon 60mm 2.8D and wide angle with Tokina 11-16mm 2.8.
In Belgium diving magazines, there's advertisement for Hugyfot housings.
Any advice with buying one or pro/contra? Experiences?

thanks for the help,

kind regards​

Is there an underwater photography club in your area? If so, get involved with them and you will get lots of good local advice.

Is there an underwater photography retailer near you? Go visit them, pick up the housings and try operating them.

If you can do these things, you will get a very good appreciation as to what you will get for how much you spend.
If yo spend too much money, you might not be happy, if you spend too little money, you will not be happy.
Making a decision from magazine advertisements is difficult; making a decision from the internet is also difficult compared to going to an underwater photography specialty shop and picking up and feeling the equipment and seeing how it will all go together (and come apart).
Find out about 'local support'. It does not have to be very local, but if you choose a brand that does not have a local dealer (to you 'local' might mean all of the E.U., I don't know) you do not want to miss dive trips because you are waiting for an o-ring to clear customs or you do not even know where to order one.

How are the import taxes for you? Will that have a big impact on your budget? Subal are also made in Belgium .

For your 60mm lens the optimum port will be a flat port. For your 11-16mm you will be best off with the largest dome you can afford.
The Tokina 10-17mm is extremely popular in this part of the world; one reason is that fisheye lenses can use 100mm hemisperical ports which are much less expensive than large domes.

Any experience with hugyfot in general?

Back
Top Bottom