Ikelite DS-161 Stobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmayer

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have two Ikelite DS-200 strobes that I'm planning to upgrade. I'm tired of the DS-200s flooding. No matter what I do, they are just too prone to flooding. I've had 9 floods between the two strobes in 200 dives.

My preference is to stick with Ikelite strobes as I also use Ikelite housings and have been very happy with Ikelite service.

Who has had a flood with Ikelite DS-161s? What were the circumstances? What could you have done differently to prevent the flood?

I don't have any stories of floods, however my dive buddies have DS125's and DS160's that share the battery design with the 161's, and have never had a flood in hundreds of dives. They do meticulously clean the o-ring contact surfaces and the o-ring at every battery swap.

Thirty some dives on my DS 161 and never had a flood. Had a DEU error on the wired connection to the housing but that got cleaned up nicely.

Count this as a vote for 'rock solid'.

m.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I have had GREAT luck with both DS 125's and DS 160's. I had one defective battery latch break, but Ikelite replaced with no hassle. Luckily, I had a spare battery so didn't lose one dive. Hundreds of dives and only one problem. I have no idea why you are flooding. Maybe operator error? One has to ask.

Had a pair of DS125s for 6+ years and swapped 3 batteries between them. Hundreds of dives without so much as a drop of water in the battery area. Recently purchased a pair of DS160s with lithium ion batteries. Had a few drops of water in one of them on the third dive I made with them. While I did not find a specific cause, best I could come up with was that I left some sand in the seal area. Made 40+ dives over the next couple of weeks and did not have any further problem.

Went to Bonaire a month or so after that trip and managed to flood one of the DS160s on the 4th dive. I charged the batteries for both strobes while we were at dinner and reassembled the strobes immediately prior to a night dive. I used the same routine that I followed for 6+ years with the DS125s, but this time I managed to assemble one of the strobes without an o-ring. I found the o-ring on the floor under the table where I assembled the strobes. The o-ring dropped out of the groove after I swept it for debris prior to assembly. As is was somewhat dark in that area, I missed that the o-ring had dropped out. Toasted battery, but strobe is fine.

I compared o-ring retention in my DS125 batteries (I have 3 of them) and all appear to retain the o-ring better than either of the newer Lithium Ion batteries. I will be a lot more attentive to strobe assembly moving forward. As a side note, still do not have replacement for the Li ion battery as Ike is out of stock.

I don't have any stories of floods, however my dive buddies have DS125's and DS160's that share the battery design with the 161's, and have never had a flood in hundreds of dives. They do meticulously clean the o-ring contact surfaces and the o-ring at every battery swap.

I guess we aren't dive buddies very often but I flooded a DS125 battery two years ago.

User error-oring was not seated properly, and was pinched. Still worked for several pictures, then strobe fired once on it's own, and I noticed the magic smoke drifting out where the oring was pinched.

It was a NiMH pack, and I upgraded to Lithium. I love them. Absolutely a powerhouse and a workhorse with the lithium packs.

I do remove orings and wipe off when I charge most of the time, but I've also done some trips with 3 or 4 dives in a day and if the oring looked clean, I didn't pull it out. Pulling it out means you have a risk of not re-seating it rightly, but if you just take a second to run your finger around the seal or even just take a look at it, you should notice if you pinched it like I did. I was complacent after hundreds of dives with them without a flood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom