Removing a wet lens when diving, how do you keep in safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
Where do you put your wet lens when you remove it when you are diving, or do you just leave it on for thw whole dive.

I am wondering where to store my wet lens when I am diving and it is not on the camera.
Perfect would be a screw on mount that I can tierap to the tray or an arm.
Worried about putting it into a pocket, scratches etc but that may be an option, or a soft bag on a D Ring.

Any ideas gratefully accepted. With a picture even better.

I have seen so many ruined lenses from putting them into pockets. I would not put my wide angle or fisheye lenses in a pocket, even if I had a pocket. I either leave them on or I have a mount on my tray. I have found the threaded lenses not practical to remove, the Inon bayonet type, yes, it is not a big deal to remove and replace. Usually I only remove and install my macro bayonet Inon wet lens, if I install the wide angle, it is on for the dive.

N

As nemrod says use a lens holder. if you use M67 close up lens you can think of taking it on and off. A heavier wide angle lens basically forget it

Yes that's what lens holders are for. I have also been lazy/in a hurry and stored macro lenses in the back pocket of board shorts, and inside the front of my wetsuit neck.

I used to stuff it in my BC pocket, but I dropped it once and bought a holder. If it's 67mm be careful taking it off. If you screw it on too tight and take it off underwater, you can unscrew the port from the housing. I almost did that once. Best bet is get a lens holder and leash the lens with fishing leader or a lens leash.

Your best options would be a lens holder, as others suggested.
Nauticam produce quite a few options for different mounts, but most fit only Nauticam arms.
If you specify which tray and arm and which lens you have I might have a better idea if you can find one that fits your system.
I attached an example:
NA-25511-2.jpg

When I don't have a holder available, I usually stuff it in my wetsuit against my chest. Seems like the safest place to put it.. Just don't forget it there when you unzip your suit in the showers!

Sometimes I just hold it in my hand for awhile... if wearing a shorty, I slip it under the wetsuit on a leg

I wrap one of those zip ties with a extra hole at the end to the wet lens, then use one of those fishing line leader with the snap and clip one that to the zip tie and the other end to my housing strobe plate. This is for the purpose of it not being falling into the blue if I accidentally let go of while on a wall. I would even let it dangle if my camera is not too close to the bottom. Otherwise, I screw it onto the lens caddy.

I used to stuff it in my BC pocket, but I dropped it once and bought a holder. If it's 67mm be careful taking it off. If you screw it on too tight and take it off underwater, you can unscrew the port from the housing. I almost did that once. Best bet is get a lens holder and leash the lens with fishing leader or a lens leash.

Once I was unscrewing my wet lens and saw the holes on the side of the flat port rotating and thought OMG, the port on the housing is unscrewing and immediately screwed it back. When I got back on the boat, I could not unscrew the front port no matter how hard I try. Don't know if it was my imagination but after that, I make sure only the wet lens is rotating when I remove it.

I like the idea of a holder and the Zip tie and fishing leader incase butter fingers here drops it, quite possible in my case even without gloves.
Now to find out where I can get one I can attach to my tray/arm
It is an Olympus PT-EP05L with a M67 thread on the front of the standard port.
I cannot remember who makes my tray and arms, will probably need to post a picture. However I may change as the tray has only a single screw and the camera is always coming loose and turning around on.

I put a stainless steel split key ring on the part of the tray right before it becomes a ball joint. On some trays, that's on top of the handle. Then I slide the fishing leader into that key ring. Key ring would not fall out unless the clamps are removed.

Or you can buy a version that has all the things I described, plus a thingie to put your lens on:

gb undersea Digital Lens Dock for Add-on Lenses

Back
Top Bottom