Just starting out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SKMoss

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm returning from a long diving hiatus. 30 or so years. In the past I had an Nikonus V, and IV. Loved taking pictures underwater.

Getting back into the groove now and have spent the budget getting good dive gear. Time to start thinking about the next step in UW photo gear.

End game is to get a great set up. Problem is, the end game is way more cash than I have now, or will have in the near future.

SO. Here's some questions.

I have an IPHONE and a CANON 20D DSLR. I see three options.

#1 get a decent housing for the iphone and at least get started. ~$200 Not great, but at least lets me document dives.
#2 get a SeaLife 1400 ($500) w/Strobe ($800) various lens settings, macro, etc. Seems like good value.
#3 get a used (really good deal) housing (and a bunch of extras) for my CANON $1500. Will need to buy some other add ons to fit my lenses, and to buy some other lenses to give wide angle and macro. Also can only use one at a time for a dive.

So again, understanding moves now are just to get me started, what kind of recommendations would you have? I'd really like to stay in the $500 range for now. And use what I get now, for back up later.

Thoughts?

The Canon S110 (w/ WP-DC47 housing) would be worth considering as it is comparable in price to the SeaLife 1400 but has a little better feature set including RAW capability.

Flare,

Thanks for the idea. Reviews pretty well compared to the 1400. Doesn't have the built in color filters, but the RAW makes up for that. DEFINITELY a good option to add in to the mix.

thought I'd tag this onto this thread since it's basically the same question - hope that's ok:
I'm new to diving and love taking pictures so of course taking underwater pictures is on my list of things to do. Husband and I started out having 2 Nikon Cool Pix "underwater" cameras - first is older and good to about 30', second one I purchased was a couple years newer and good to about 60'. As we haven't been deeper than 30' yet these were working out just fine. Last weekend we went to a dive lake here in Texas and the LCD screen on the newer camera went out - so we've been camera shopping. We have purchased a SeaLife DC1400 already - I know I need the light for it, but thinking I'd like to get a second camera because we have a cruise planned in January and we'll both want to take pictures. So, I'm thinking I could get another SeaLife - but I've heard some bad things about them so not sure, I could get a housing for my Nikon D40 - but that's not a good option as the housing we found is $1400 - so no! Or I could get a really good smaller camera and a housing for it. Like Steve I'd rather stay around the $500 or so mark at the moment - we like to dive and like to take pictures - but not looking for National Geographic quality. So, I guess my question is have you had good luck with a certain camera that you might recommend?

Becca65, have you considered getting a great "happy snappy" camera like a canon S100 or the like? Ikelite makes a housing for it and it's a great topside camera! I have to admit, I'm not sure what the camera costs ... I'll take a look. For either system if you are taking still shots (not video) you can still use a video light as long as it's 2000 lumens. This will be cheaper than getting strobes.

---------- Post added July 28th, 2014 at 12:51 PM ----------

Steve, did you use a strobe with your Nikonus? There are options, check out package deals to find something in your budget. I think if you already had a strobe, why not find something that works with it.

Steve, did you use a strobe with your Nikonus? There are options, check out package deals to find something in your budget. I think if you already had a strobe, why not find something that works with it.

I did, but it was sold with everything else I had when I moved back state side from the Philippines when I got out of the military.

I'm going to hold off until I can afford a package deal. I'm leaning toward an S110 + housing & strobes. I like the reviews on the s110, and really prefer to shoot in RAW. I do a lot of regular photography and am used to using PS for post work. It's a work flow I'm comfortable with.

I need to start scoping out the housing and strobes that are appropriate.

-----edited to add----

I work on the UCI campus. The spouse of one of my coworkers, works for Tustin Planning Department and I've been told I will plan a trip up to The Habit up near there soon, so we can have lunch with her. I ought to plan on coming by your store and getting an education!!!! Start planning on budget.

---------- Post added July 29th, 2014 at 12:30 PM ----------

thought I'd tag this onto this thread since it's basically the same question - hope that's ok:

Fine by me. :D

You're in the same place I was when I bought my Nikonus IV. LONG time ago. Good, but not top of the line UW camera. All I wanted at that time was to document stuff I saw. Didn't want to, nor could I afford, buy the best. The IV got stolen and I replaced it with the Nikonus V w/ strobe.

Have you thought about something like this. SeaLife Reefmaster Mini 9 MP Underwater Camera SL332

It's <$250.

Its not going to be the greatest camera out there, but for the price it seems decent. Pretty simple as well. Simple is key now. As relatively new divers, task loading under the water can be an issue. I've seen new and not so new divers get all flummoxed when trying to add UW Photography to their underwater task load. Another thing to consider is finding a UW Digital Photography Specialty course.

SeaLife is also coming out with a new camera that will be similar (price/functionality) to the DCS1400, but it's a UW camera, not a camera in a housing. If it shot RAW I'd probably be looking at it.

Last edited:
The S110 is a nice camera. You'll like it for topside and underwater if you decide to go that route. I use mine all the time to throw in my purse or gear bag on a boat. In a housing, I use it when I free dive or snorkel between dives. = )

We have the Sealife cameras here but, to be honest, I haven't shot one yet.

I have not had my SeaLife camera in the water yet - not even in the pool - but will soon give it a try both in the pool and the Gulf. I will look up the Canon S110, actually now that I think of it my son has a Canon - can't remember which - that he doesn't use much...maybe I could get away with just getting a housing for his. I am kinda liking the idea of getting one of the "tough" cameras that is "waterproof" to a certain depth - still get a housing for deeper, but then if it leaks a little maybe the camera won't be toasted. Here on the forum have seen where several people have lost their SeaLife due to the housing leaking just a little water inside.

I just wanted to add that if you want to save a little on the housing, the Meikon housing has received good reviews here on the forum with most stating it compares well to the Canon housing.

Ref: Amazon.com : MEIKON 40m 13oft Waterproof Underwater Diving Housing Camera Case for Canon PowerShot S110 : Camera & Photo or for the Polaroid branded version http://www.amazon.com/Polaroid-Wate...m_sbs_p_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0HD343YYXGBYS39STW5E

These have a built-in 67mm thread which is a nice addition and run $125-$130. With a bit of shopping around for the camera, you could bring the total in under $350.

Thanks Flareside. I think i'd already chucked the Ikelite housing, in favor of the Canon or Meikon. Can't get under 350 at the moment. Least not all on amazon. Close, but not quite.

Next question is going to be strobes/lights, and what makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom