Critter Hunting in Tulamben, Bali - July 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great shots. Tulamben is one of my all time favorite dive spots. No critiques here, your pictures are terrific. What eqp't were you using? Typical EXIF for these shots?

Did a few dives in this AMAZING area for muck action - I was quite literally swimming from critter to critter!

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjZpmfe5

Constructive feedback appreciated - third trip with camera so still have much to learn!

Awesome pictures!

Thanks guys! Sony RX100 Mk1 in a Nauticam with twin S&S YS-D1s. Most shots with +8 diopter, 1/500 sec, F11, strobe power varies a lot depending on what I want. I'm a big fan of getting down and dirty when taking the pics so I can shoot into the water column and up close at eye-level, which is easy on the flat sandy slopes in the area.

Wow! Awesome pics! I do my own architectural photography and have had the bug to start shooting underwater instead of "shooting" underwater. And thanks for sharing your camera settings... a whole new learning curve for me.

Great photo's, they make me feel a little inadequate with my own photo skills. Tulamben is target rich and I love diving there.

Excellent set of black background getting down low obviously works also all shots seem fairly sharp
Few observations:
1. They are all black backgrounds maybe try also something different like slower shutter speeds or wide apertures to have some kind of effect?
2. The colors do not look as punchy as they should be considering you had the right camera and two strobes. Am not sure why that is? I imagine you shot RAW so this should come up just fine in post???

Hey Interceptor, thanks for your comments.

1. For years I looked with admiration at these black macro shots, when all my friends were producing were top down shots with lots of sand etc in background, so I wanted to "master" the effect and get my black background technique down pat. I think I'm about there now, and will definitely begin experimenting more on my next trip (well I'm going to Maldives next, and I'm going to try 90% W/A). It's relatively easy to take all the "standard" shots like these (which require little skill or luck), but the real killer ones with incredible moments caught in time or very unique compositions take real creativity and patience, so for macro at least, that is the next level.

2. Interesting comment on colour punchiness, to my eyes and preferences it looks okay. Yes I shoot RAW and can always bump up the saturation or vibrancy in post, but actually in some cases I reduced it slightly because I felt it looked a little too artificial. Maybe it's a beauty in the eye of the beholder thing? But interesting you would say that. I was advised that if I ever intended to print anything, I should really bump up the saturation for the print version, but for screen it's not so critical. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks!

Great shots. With respect to #2, I don't see an issue with the colors. However you may well be running in to monitor calibration issues? After going through the process of calibrating your monitor, try printing a couple of them and then compare to the monitor.

I said about colours as the rx100 has got more color depth. I wouldn't go and reduce saturation or any setting that alters the whole image other than clarity. I wouldn't saturate either just selectively look at some corrections. It may also have to do with your strobes color temperature

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom