Housing Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simon-

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have recently bought a dslr set-up, with an Ikelite housing.

I have now used it on four dives over different days. First 2 dives just left it on auto, as I was getting a feel for it and had no problems.

Dives 3 and 4 switched to manual mode. What I initially noticed was that on the surface there was no issue with changing aperture or shutter speed (with the camera in the housing), however, once underwater, I couldn't change these.

On dive 4, a small amount of water came into the housing. Not sure at this stage of it was from the port, main o ring or lever/button.

Could the inability to change settings be linked to a pressure change inside the housing, therefore linking the two things?

Thanks in advance

Your camera was probably improperly seated. Make sure you follow mfg.'s instructions regarding position of things like the power switch, etc. while closing the housing. I don't own an Ikelite, but I've closed my housing with the housing power lever in the "On" position and the camera in the "Off" position on numerous occasions, this prevents the camera from seating properly in the housing and could interfere with fully closing it. Carefully check all the button positions and double check that the camera is fully seated in the tray before closing the housing. I've also forgotten to lock down the tray on numerous occasions. Generally, I find out the camera isn't locked down when my display button fails to work.

I will recheck but first I want to try the housing in a pool with no camera first. Really don't want to risk the camera, but would that explain being able to change settings at the surface but not underwater?

Yes. A small difference in tension on a dial can cause problems. Another issue I've had that prevented changing settings at depth was having the housing rub on the boat or myself during descent and depressing one of the buttons. On my Sea & Sea, some of the buttons will lock in the down position if you push and turn, and it locks up the camera because you're permanently pressing one control.

Another thing to check, depending on the camera you have - if there is an "eye" piece (rubber) on the viewfinder, you'll need to remove that or the camera will not seat properly. I've seen people do this over and over. The back will close but it causes just enough pressure at depth to either interrupt button operation and/or take on water!

It is a Nikon D90 if that piece of info is of any value.

I will recheck how the camera seats etc. but if it was a button pressed, I would have expected the camera not to operate. I could still take pictures (until I noticed the water), the camera wasn't "frozen".

Maybe ask the people who made it? Ikelite Their rep. was last on SB 5 days ago.

Message already sent to them, just waiting for them to get back to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom