A bit confused on the hero 3+ housing, can you help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TT_Vert

Contributor
Reaction score
It seems the hero 3 has a flat lens housing but when I see pics of it they all have screws around the perimeter of the lens. HOWEVER, when I look to purchase one all advertisements show the lens housing w/ no screws around the perimeter. Did GOPRO change the housing design? One vendor here sells a lens for what he says is the standard housing but it also has the screws around the perimeter. Gopro.com shows the lens w/o any screws.

Said vendors filter on "stock housing"
MCCL-2.jpg

On gopros site:

Thanks much guys!!
Dave

The screws are part of the red filter. The red filter attaches to the outside of the lens port. It has a ring of material that encircles the outside of the lens port and then has a little allen in the corner to tighten the ring onto the lens port. It has to have a grip on the lens port because you can "open" and "close" the red filter over the lens. You can see that in your upper left image that the black gap around the lens is not a uniform width. They have attached it but haven't tightened it down uniformly.

I bought one from Backscatter.

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 02:49 PM ----------

This link for the Flip3 at Backscatter shows exactly how it is mounted.

Backscatter :: Underwater video :: compact video :: parts & accessories :: filters&

OK then explain this. Does the hero3 have a housing w/ screws and the 3+ w/ no screws? My gopro 2 filters just snap onto my dive housing, I assume there is no issue doing this w/ the hero3+ also?

right, I'm aware that case exist from what I have read it isn't necessary with the new hero 3 flat lens. Why did you opt for that housing?

For the better construction. better latch and the red Polar filter fit on it. I also have the LCD back that fits in this housing. For $60, it was a simple decision.

I may get the touch bacpac at some point. Does the gopro dive housing come w/ the red filter?

Dave

The red filter does NOT come with it (another $30 add on). I advise not to get glass, btw, it is fragile and broke on day 1.

Careful with the Touch BackPac as you CANNOT use the touch back underwater. You can use the LCD underwater but only with the back made for use underwater. Be sure to read all the documentation (online mostly) the devil is in the details!

I saved at least one person from flooding his GoPro when he was getting ready to use the touch back just before a dive.

Yeah I've read all that about the bacpac. I've always used a plastic filter but they scratch so easily so I was actually leaning towards a glass filter this go around. I would hope that if it had a plastic bezel it would be fairly durable. I may just opt for one of these from polar pro at $29.99 and I can utilized the OEM housing which is said to be fine for diving unlike the hero2.

For added clarification, if you buy the FLIP3.1 it comes with an adapter for the 3+ because it is smaller than the 3. Same filter fits both models.

Back
Top Bottom