Canon G16 -> 3 popular housings ->> what would be the real difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaronad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm new to the underwater photography and about to upgrade / decide which underwater houseing to choose for the G16....
I have a big dilemma to choose 1 of this 4:
Recsea Canon PowerShot G16 Underwater Housing Waterproof Diving Case WHC G16 | eBay

Fantasea Line FG16 Underwater Housing for Canon PowerShot G16 Digital Camera | eBay

Ikelite 6146 16 Underwater TTL Housing for Canon G16 New Great Dive Recorder | eBay

Canon WP DC52 Underwater Housing Scuba Case for PowerShot G16 from Japan | eBay

The dilema is not just regarding the cost,
I intend to dive up to 130 feet ....and not that one of this "well known brands" housing... can "CRACK ?
correct me if I'm wrong ?
So why would I choose the RecSea aluminum house? for example ?

Eventually the most important thing is the O rings no ? and to preserve / treat them right + service the housing on time....
So, If I can reach all the functions of the camera? - why isn't the original Canon case a good option ? after all ?
Canon WP DC52 Underwater Housing Scuba Case for PowerShot G16 from Japan | eBay

please advise

thx in advance

Well I don't like the original housings very much. They won't crack even if taken beyond the level they are designed for, but they do have a single O ring. I have seen so many floodings, also with people who are very careful. If any of the housings has a double O ring and is still reasonably priced, that would be the one I'd buy.
See for example:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/492004-work-horse.html

I gather the Fantasea has a double O ring.

I would recommend the nautical housing, it costs a little more but is worth it you can use every button and function on the camera. The housing is very easy to upgrade with extra wet lenses and dome port from inon. I have Inon wide angle lens with dome port, close up +10 lens and both attach very easily. The housing has a very good locking system with built in moisture alarm and depth rating of 100 meters. I have used the canon housings and had them leak many times, it is hard to use the dial function unlike the nautical housing. I also prefer the sturdy aluminum over the plastic. The ikelite housing is just to bulky In used a friends on his G11 and the feel was not very comfortable.

I have have experience with Ikelite and Naiticam housings. The Ike housing is functional but the controls are not that precise plus the housing is large.

Metal housings are designed for each individual housing. I am familiar with Nauticam housings. They offer precise contro and good ergonomics. On DSLR housings they offer vacuum lock systems which offer an enhanced protection against leaks. If you can get such a thing for your housing, I would recommend it.

It generally depends on your use.
If you intend on shooting twice a year, casual souvenir shots from your dive trips, the Canon housing should be enough.
If you plan on using it more intensely, the Fantasea housing is more secure - double O-rings and generally more rugged.
If you are diving constantly, and plan to add wide lenses, macro lenses etc., the Nauticam housing has a 67mm thread hence easier to add accessories, while also being very tough and can last a lifetime. Not to mention compact size and better ergonomics.

In general, all housings should be fine as long as you take perfect care of them and maintain the O-rings as recommended. The problem is that when we dive we tend to overlook things in the rush of a group / guide / buddies, and cheaper housings might not be as forgiving to those occasions.

One thing is for sure, with underwater housings - you get what you pay for. Higher priced housings are worth it.

so.....what about the Meikon Housing for Canon G16?
Meikon Housing for Canon G16 - COMPACT HOUSINGS - FOTOGRAFIT

This housing has :
>> a double O-ring, and already is equiped with a 67mm thread,
>> a double flash mount (L-type) and a "cold shoe" for mounting an armball or YS-accessory on the top.
>> a handstrap, and extra O-ring.

Material: Polycarbonate,ABS plastic, clear plate glass

is it considered to be good quality ....choice ? for about 150~ dives a year?

Completely agree with all the above especially the "get what you pay for" comment. I've had bad experiences with Canon housings (leaks) and Ikelite (poorly designed, clumsy controls that don't work) and don't imagine the polycarbonate housing from Meikon would be much better although I have never seen or handled one. The alloy housings are so much better to use. If I was doing 150 dives a year I would spring for the best housing for my camera that money could buy. I did that anyway (Nauticam) and I do less photo dives than that, and it was worth every cent. There is also the durability issue of metal over plastic when it is getting used that much.

so.....what about the Meikon Housing for Canon G16?
Meikon Housing for Canon G16 - COMPACT HOUSINGS - FOTOGRAFIT

This housing has :
>> a double O-ring, and already is equiped with a 67mm thread,
>> a double flash mount (L-type) and a "cold shoe" for mounting an armball or YS-accessory on the top.
>> a handstrap, and extra O-ring.

Material: Polycarbonate,ABS plastic, clear plate glass

is it considered to be good quality ....choice ? for about 150~ dives a year?

I would stay away from Meikon, I bought one for a G12 and it is almost identical to Canons housings excepts the locking lever and on the one you mentioned the threaded port. I did like the locking lever over Canons it felt more durable BUT, the o-rings included are way to thick and the two housing parts are unable to completely lock together even at depth. I dove 20 dives with it and would notice small water drops around the o-ring. I have tried o-rings from canon and one a friend purchased from another manufacturer in Singapore and the Singapore did not seal properly. A friend wanted to test the housing but unfortunately he did not do an empty test first and needed up flooding his camera at 10 m on the way to the surface.

I have seen fantasea housings with lens kits and or strobe kits in eBay for good prices, I would also suggest Canon over Meikon you can always but a threaded lens adapter to mount to the housing in the future from Inon.

it's all up to your budget. If you can afford it the pricey housings, they are made better and you're less likey to have problems. I dive 100-150 dives a year (sadly not this year though) and have been using Canon housings for the last 9 years without ever a flooded housing. the only time I have ever go any water in my camera was with a Fantasea housing for a Nikon, but it was due to the layard cord caught in the housing while closing. (but not a flood, just a little water in the housing. not enuff to do any damage) Never liked the Ikelite housings, solid yes...but felt like I had a shoe box with a shutter lever on it.

Back
Top Bottom