Does P&S cameras w/lens wider than 35mm have to use WA wet lens that's made for 28mm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have old P&S that has min focal length of 35mm (35mm equiv), thus am able to use lens like the Inon UWL-100 with no issue. Going forward, most of camera's min focal lens are either 24 or 28mm equiv. Inon makes wet lens like the UWL-H100, which from what I assume, just has a wider exit pupil, which won't cause vignetting.

I was wondering, if using a a regular WA wet lens like the UWL-100 on a camera with 24 or 28mm widest focal length, could I just zoom in the lens a little so the vignetting disappears? Would I lose any field of view as compared to using the UWL-H100?

Also, my camera's lens has internal zooming, which means at its min focal length of 35mm, the front of the lens is face to face with the housing's lens port. Pretty much all newer P&S's lens uses external zooming, thus when at its widest lens setting, the front element of the lens usually is a bit of a distance away from the lens port. Figuring how the wet lens works, it seems that the further away the camera's lens is away from the rear element of the wet lens, the narrower the field of view will be. Is this an issue with current cameras?

Back
Top Bottom