Compass handling with camera gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Dave1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am headed to Bonaire this winter for a couple of fun weeks of diving. Normally, I never seem to need a compass for diving. I seem able to follow the reef to/from the boat as needed so far for 20+ yrs but thinking I would like to have a compass for the bonaire trip. Last time at Bonaire I did not need one but thinking about having one this time. Please do not turn this topic/info request into a lecture on compass use, etc.

I use an air integrated dive computer but it has no compass and I have no plans to replace it. Seems connecting a compass to the camera housing system somehow might be useful - better than figuring out how to arrange using one on the wrist, in my hand via retractor or other wise. I saw a 2012 entry elsewhere where one person connected a compass to the housing handle. That seems like one approach.
I know the routine for wrist mounted compass when both hands are free but that is not the world I/we dive in.

How do you arrange doing compass readings and following a direction while handling your camera gear?
Where do you keep the compass while diving?

I use a Nauticam D7000 housing with ULCS arms. Currently using a back inflation BC and thinking of changing to backplate and wings. This likely has no influence on how I handle a compass but keeping it complete for those with specific methods/connections with their gear.

Thanks for ideas/information in advance.

Mount a cheap compass to the housing itself. Suunto A-10 is nice and small, Silva Polaris works as well. Superglue to the housing, and good to go. Otherwise the video that I uploaded a while ago for slate assembly is the best way to properly navigate if you are doing it while you have your camera clipped off.

[video=youtube;x0z4T_3KjFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0z4T_3KjFM[/video]

Compass is mounted in a bungymount and placed on left wrist. No problems navigating with housing.

I use my compass on my right hand, in a bungee mount. I don't have a need to try to come up with some way to mount it on my housing. I can keep a general direction by glancing at the compass every few min or less often pretty easily. My rig is a DSLR with two strobes etc, so similar in size to your D7000 (bigger than it actually).

Compass is mounted in a bungymount and placed on left wrist. No problems navigating with housing.

DSS bungee mount on left forearm. Computer in DSS bungee mount on the right.

One caution: some aspects of the camera equipment may influence the compass accuracy. Beware of batteries, anything steel/ferrous.

I clip off the compass on a retractor to a D-ring on my left shoulder. If I need it, I can pull it out with my right hand and the tension on the retractor helps stabilize it.

In Bonaire, I find the compass particularly useful on a shore dive for getting out underwater to the mooring line, and then getting back from the mooring line to the exit. During the dive I use natural navigation.

Last edited:
I've been using a Suunto SK-7 on my wrist since 2003, taking photos underwater about as long. Even with my more recent gear with strobes, video lights etc. I find it easy to use the wrist mount compass.

The advantage of mounting a compass on the housing is you can comfortably hold the lubber line on center with your body and you are “in position” to shoot something interesting that passes by. Holding a bulky housing with both hands in front of you also makes you far more hydro-dynamically symmetrical, which makes it easier to swim a straight course.

The housing is also a very convenient place for a backup computer, especially for a macro photographer who often has to wait long periods and any movement to check arm-mounted instruments can spool the critters.

I’m not saying that an arm-mounted compass is bad, just that a two-handed swim-board or camera mounted compass introduces less error and is more comfortable.

RJE International - Diver Navigation

Back
Top Bottom